New push mower

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Which one?

I am contemplating buying a new push mower. I have a lawn boy with a Honda gold and the personal pace feature. It works good, but is showing it's age (2003).

I could give it a full refresh for $150ish, or I could save that money, sell it, and put both pots of money toward a new machine.

Open to any and all suggestions - I have done no research.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which one?

I am contemplating buying a new push mower. I have a lawn boy with a Honda gold and the personal pace feature. It works good, but is showing it's age (2003).

I could give it a full refresh for $150ish, or I could save that money, sell it, and put both pots of money toward a new machine.

Open to any and all suggestions - I have done no research.
How much you looking to spend? They can get awful pricey. I've gotten by with two Husky self-propelled 22" cut, bagger mowers for a few years now. Both cost less than $300 each and both have the Honda GC 160 (albeit a throw away motor of Hondas)...neither have failed. No problems whatsoever. If I get into areas where they're not feasible, I simply crank up the rider.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't mind spending a few bucks - I'd like to buy a quality mower - something with an excellent cut. I rarely mulch or bag.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the toro personal pace 30" cut last year and absolutely love it. It replaced the same mower but it had the 22" deck. I don't have a large yard but I like the look of larger cutting paths. I guess I'm anal with my lawn but I've spent a lot of money get it back to a lawn from the previous owner that didn't care.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
exmark commercial 30''

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the toro personal pace 30" cut last year and absolutely love it. It replaced the same mower but it had the 22" deck. I don't have a large yard but I like the look of larger cutting paths. I guess I'm anal with my lawn but I've spent a lot of money get it back to a lawn from the previous owner that didn't care.

After mowing my lawn for only 2 year with this toro it has started to give me problems and I'm not impressed. The toro I had prior to this one was trouble free but this one is now going to the shop for repairs. Last week the cable that engaged the blades broke and I was able to get the part under warranty and repair the unit tonight. It was perfect timing as I needed to mow again. Started the mow and pushed the bar to engage the self propel and nothing. After dicking with it for 10 minutes I gave up and just pushed the mower though the yard to get done. Tomorrow I will call the shop whe they open to let them know that I will have to bring it in but he's 2-3 weeks out so now I'm going to have to get some goats till I get it back. Told the wife don't be surprised if I come home with a new mower.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After mowing my lawn for only 2 year with this toro it has started to give me problems and I'm not impressed. The toro I had prior to this one was trouble free but this one is now going to the shop for repairs. Last week the cable that engaged the blades broke and I was able to get the part under warranty and repair the unit tonight. It was perfect timing as I needed to mow again. Started the mow and pushed the bar to engage the self propel and nothing. After dicking with it for 10 minutes I gave up and just pushed the mower though the yard to get done. Tomorrow I will call the shop whe they open to let them know that I will have to bring it in but he's 2-3 weeks out so now I'm going to have to get some goats till I get it back. Told the wife don't be surprised if I come home with a new mower.

That sucks. Did you get something new?

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sucks. Did you get something new?

I did not buy a new mower but I do feel quit challenged. I bring the mower to the dealer and within a minute or two he has it fixed. Why on earth did I not see the problem. I had to set the tension on the blade engagement cable but never reset the cable tension for the self propel. Man I wanted to crawl in a hole after that. I did leave the mower with the dealer so they could sharpen the blades and give it a check over as i felt it needed it. I have done the regular maintenance but I know the blades were getting dull and this way he can check the belts for wear and anything else I'm not sure on.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Way better than having to leave it for a couple of weeks and pay for non warranty service.

Once in a while a little humble pie is good for all of us. Had to eat some last night myself after doing a sloppy wiring job hooking up the pool pump last night.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a Honda hrm217 from a small engine repair guy on the side of the highway for 125.00. And a John Deere 14sb from a older gentleman that had moved to gatlinburg to retire in the mountains. He no longer needed it as he had no grass. I paid 200 for it got all the paperwork and the rear bagger really happy with that purchase. It's got the Kawasaki motor on It

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything you'd buy at the store in those price ranges would be junk.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID