My turn at a 660

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks to Walt @afleetcommand for the tools and putting up with me in pm's. Matthew Olson for his bolt by bolt video's. Also a big thanks to all the posters in this community. I'm learning a ton. Fast. 20190303_134211.jpg

Its finally together. The only OEM part swapping I've done is the crank bearings and seals. The flywheel side came with metal shavings. And after getting them out, it still had a spot it stopped in. So, both sides are gone. More to come.

I see why the plastic selector lever is replaced. That thing bends like crazy.

Is the rubber boot between the carb and the jug still an issue? I'm not planning to fire this up till next weekend. When it finally reaches above zero in temp.

Only other thing that's done is the 56mm top end and a popup piston. I wanted to do a base gasket delete. But, the piston ran into the top. And I have zero ability thus far to shave that.

Otherwise it was a blast to put together. I got a buddy that's been looking at them longer then I have and wants me to put his together. Lol. Game on!

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks to Walt @afleetcommand for the tools and putting up with me in pm's. Matthew Olson for his bolt by bolt video's. Also a big thanks to all the posters in this community. I'm learning a ton. Fast. View attachment 168848

Its finally together. The only OEM part swapping I've done is the crank bearings and seals. The flywheel side came with metal shavings. And after getting them out, it still had a spot it stopped in. So, both sides are gone. More to come.

I see why the plastic selector lever is replaced. That thing bends like crazy.

Is the rubber boot between the carb and the jug still an issue? I'm not planning to fire this up till next weekend. When it finally reaches above zero in temp.

Only other thing that's done is the 56mm top end and a popup piston. I wanted to do a base gasket delete. But, the piston ran into the top. And I have zero ability thus far to shave that.

Otherwise it was a blast to put together. I got a buddy that's been looking at them longer then I have and wants me to put his together. Lol. Game on!
I've have not had any problems with the intake boots that I have used so far but time will tell.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine just seemed really tight on the bottom against the ring installed compared to the top. Just seemed a bit odd. So, thought I would ask.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
56mm popup?

Can you tell me more... I’ve got a bb hyway on my oem 660. I’ve been looking for a popup in the 56mm shape and size...

Things here in the uk are a little different than the USA.

Cheers
Screenshot_20190304-170900_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It comes out of Florida. So, I have no idea how England would work. Have somebody buy it and mail it?

two4spooky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
56mm popup?

Can you tell me more... I’ve got a bb hyway on my oem 660. I’ve been looking for a popup in the 56mm shape and size...

Things here in the uk are a little different than the USA.

Cheers
HL Supply has them also, a little cheaper to boot. Don't know about shipping to the UK though.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will this cause a problem and what's the proper studs part number for the stud needed? My Stihl dealer and I got the wrong ones. And yes, the ones that came stripped putting the bar on. Not good.20190309_103719.jpg

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it to start and run for about 2 minutes. Here is a very short video. Oiler works. For some reason I cant turn the adjustment screw. Itll get a new muffler last. For now. It's going to be a work saw.

Now it's time for a bar and chain and some cooperating weather.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it to start and run for about 2 minutes. Here is a very short video. Oiler works. For some reason I cant turn the adjustment screw. Itll get a new muffler last. For now. It's going to be a work saw.

Now it's time for a bar and chain and some cooperating weather.

Fattin it up a bit and bring down the idle but in ether case good job. And most likely the reason why you can't get the bar oiler to adjust is because the case needs to be clearanct from casting that will allow a small screwdriver to fit into the hole.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will "assume" a Walbro carb will just work better? Looking for ideas for after the upcoming cutting season.
Yes I've also used a tiliston on my first ms660 ran good but I felt it didn't make as much all around power like the walbro did vantery is smaller on the tiliston carb.