Muck boots

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone here try any of the muck brand boots for cold weather. I bought a pair of the Arctic ice mid boots rated to -40 as it’s in the single digits and I’m working outside this week. I’m not having good luck keeping my toes from freezing this morning. Second time having to warm up my feet and it’s only 9am. Thinking of going to the next step up to the -60 rated boots but not sure it’s worth the money. Any feedback would be great before I spend the extra money on the next level.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Nic,

I bought the Arctic ice tall boots this fall. After busting my ankle in the ice last year, I was happy to see something designed to really grip on ice.

To be honest, I'm not that impressed with them. They're very comfortable, but they're definitely not as warm as my old Sorels, which I bought in about Y2K. Also, I'm not sure what your experience with the grip has been, but mine was AWESOME, for the first dozen or so outings. Since then it seems to have become pretty mediocre. To be honest, I'm considering returning them. I bought mine at REI, so I've got a year to decide if I'm satisfied. If you want to try them out, you could do the same, or you could come over and take mine for a test drive.

Mine are mostly warm enough for my use, but I'm generally doing a lot of walking. If I'm standing still, I would appreciate them being a little warmer. Also, I have a hard time getting them dry. I guess I need to buy a boot dryer since even if I take out the insoles over night they stay pretty damp if I have worn them all day. Are yours getting all the way dry?

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am working which surprised me that they cold cold. I put my 400 gram insulated boots on and have been fine since. They are comfortable and traction has been great on this hard pack snow. I was thinking about getting the taller warmer ones but after these didn’t live up to the cold I’m going to stick with normal insulated boots. I’ll go to the red wing warehouse sale this sale and get 2 pairs for the price of these mucks

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a plain pair of Muck Boots and while I like the boot I'm not very impressed with the durability. The sole came unglued from the boot in about 6 months and I was not abusing them. Luckily they stayed water tight but it's hard to justify their cost.

As far as staying warm in them, I have no issues. Best investment to keep your feet warm is a quality wool sock. RedHead makes quality sox and can be found online or at BASS pro.

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are no good in briars. Not too durable. I’m never without a pair though. I like em that much

Agr516

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love Muck Boots. I have three pair that I wear regularly. Are you sure that your feet are not sweating and then freezing? I have a pair of the Woody Max boots (the most heavily insulated ones I have) and I can only wear them when I am going to be sitting still in the cold. Very little moving around in those things = sweaty cold feet.

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100 wool? I have many pair of "warm" socks but I find my feet sweat no matter what, then get cold. None of mine are wool though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rock thin socks in insulated boots. Sounds dumb but helps to stop feet from getting cold. I’ve got a pair of uninsulated leather work boots. Just leather not even lined for comfort. Yeah that’s when I wear the heavy socks. Give it a try fellas may surprise you

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wear just a standard sock everyday. My feet might have started to sweat and then got cold in the mucks but that doesn’t make sense if I sweat in any boot. Once I went to my regular insulated boots I was comfortable and my feet were still sweaty when I got home.

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Socks are very important in winter boots. Make darn sure you have enough room for whatever sock you choose and NEVER have a tight fit. It will kill your circulation in a heartbeat. For me, I get my winter boot 1/2 to 1 size too big to aaccomadate a thicker wool sock. Alternatively, you can go with a standard sock and let the boot's insulation do the work. Just NEVER go for a "tight" fit.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have trouble keeping your feet warm...
Get a pair of Military Bunny Boots made by Bata.They come in Black and White.
The Black ones are better for around oil,gas.diesel.The White ones are warmer.
It's the only boot that keeps my feet warm up here,i'v crushed a couple of toes over the years.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100 wool? I have many pair of "warm" socks but I find my feet sweat no matter what, then get cold. None of mine are wool though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
The ONLY sock to wear is Wool. Acrylic cold weather socks R colder than cotton, seriously..
Cotton holds moisture=COLD.
Wash yer feet, when dry spray arrid xtra dry on yer feet.
Let that dry b4 puttn on a thin liner sock,poly and nylon. Then heavy wool on top, merino prefered.
I spend all winter outside, was with a logger and crew yesterday, all of them cold, carhartt bibs on a couple of them.
My top layer was windbreaker shell jacket with a hoody beneath and carharrt double faces canvas pants.
I am danimal ya know, but it was the hytech under layers I wore was the secret..
And fer boots when cold out, mickeys fo sure..