High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS441

66Fleetside

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Would like to get some opinions on this saw.

Kinda thinking about getting into a 70cc saw. My daily driver is a 362cm (version 2). And while it does everything I “need” to do, sometimes it would be “nice” to do it a little faster and/or with a longer bar. I live on some wooded property that needs thinned, and there’s always a tree (or 50) that needs cut. Sometimes pretty large...all hardwood.

I don’t know a lot about the ms441, other than the specs, and they just never seemed to be that popular....at least in my area. They show up for sale, pretty reasonable at times, on the local CL and FB marketplace. Were the Mtronic versions an older version of that technology? And if so, any major issues with it?

I’d love to own a 462...lighter and more powerful than a 441. But I probably don’t “need” to spend ~900ish dollars on a saw that is oversized for most of the work I need to do.

I’ll try to wrap my rambling into a couple halfway cogent questions:

1) Anyone care to comment with some real world experiences with the 441? Good, bad, or ugly? Prefer carb or MTronic?

2) What is a price at which you’d snatch one up without even thinking about it? Since this isn’t truly a need, I can be very patient and wait on a smoking deal. Interestingly, the used 044/440 seem to be listed for higher prices than the 441. Not sure if that’s just familiarity/reputation thing, or reflective of true value.

I reckon someone will point me toward a Swedish alternative. I’m definitely not a Stihl loyalist, they just have the dominant market share in my area. The one full service Husqvarna shop in my area is about 30 mins up the road...the guy is kind of a blowhard and prices everything plenty high. All that said, I’d gladly purchase a 372 or similar if the right deal came along. I’d buy a Dolmar for that matter.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here it goes...
Have logged about 20 acres (about 20 semi loads +/- not including pulp wood) of Eastern Hemlock with a regular carb version 441.
Have cut many, many cords of firewood with it and have done a a couple of custom felling jobs also.
Has well over over 50 tanks of gas noodling large Oak, Beech, Locust, and anything else rounds.
The saw is about 13-15 or so years old.
The only hiccup I had with it was the original antivibe was a little soft. Replaced under warranty and no issues since.
Pulls a 24" bar regularly but will pull a 32 incher full comp in Red Oak. Not ideal, but will do it with a sharp chain and patience.
Silky smooth, great air filtration and will cut a loooonggg time on a tank of mix.
I run 3/8 x 050 100% of the time.
It has been a fantastic saw. It's the one in my avatar wearing a 32" bar and full comp chain.

Now the bad...Recently got a ported 440. Don't run the 441 quite as much anymore. Ported saws are not healthy!

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not my favorite 70cc saw, but not a bad one by any means. If you can find one for a reasonable price in good condition have at. Problem is often people ask way too much for beat to hell saws just because it has Stihl written on the side. A suggestion I always have is to keep an eye on Home Depot used tools from their rental department, every year or so they're required to sell off the old Makita/Dollar 6400 "or whatever it's called now" for under $300 and many of them have lower hours. The 6400 runs pretty much like a 70cc saw as is, and if you want more a OEM 79cc top end is under $200

Last edited:

66Fleetside

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not my favorite 70cc saw, but not a bad one by any means. If you can find one for a reasonable price in good condition have at. Problem is often people ask way too much for beat to hell saws just because it has Stihl written on the side. A suggestion I always have is to keep an eye on Home Depot used tools from their rental department, every year or so they're required to sell off the old Makita/Dollar 6400 "or whatever it's called now" for under $300 and many of them have lower hours. The 6400 runs pretty much like a 70cc saw as is, and if you want more a OEM 79cc top end is under $200

The used Husqvarna stuff commands pretty premium price around here as well. Actually, the most overpriced used saws in my area are the 029/ ms290 and 455 rancher. Crazy what people want for those.

Good tip on the Home Depot Makita. All we have is Lowe’s but next time I’m in the city I might stop and look.

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The used Husqvarna stuff commands pretty premium price around here as well. Actually, probably the most overpriced used saws in my area are the 029/ ms290 and 455 rancher. Crazy what people want for those.

Good tip on the Home Depot Makita. All we have is Lowe’s but next time I’m in the city I might stop and look.
They list them on their website. Just had a look and 6 of them are available at a few different locations locally for $270

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A stock 441 has to be the biggest turd of a 70cc saw I've ever ran and the oiler is stingy. A muffler mod, oiler mod and timing advance help them considerably. Ported they are quite strong and I like them. There biggest downfall is the complexity, especially on the mtronic version.

Last edited:

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A stock 441 has to be the biggest turd of a 70cc saw I've ever ran and the oiler is stingy. A muffler mod, oiler mod and timing advance help them considerably. Ported they are quite strong. There biggest downfall is the complexity, especially on the mtronic version.

Maybe I got lucky with my saw. It runs very well and the oiler uses about 75% of the reservoir for every tank of mix.
I do have to make sure I keep a clean bar groove and clean oiler hole on the bar.
I believe I got one of the earlier 441 models. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
If memory serves (and it's getting less and less accommodating!), it seems the 441 had a little more grunt than a new 440 I bought about a year later.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the oiler uses about 75% of the reservoir for every tank of mix
Keep in mind how thrifty they are on fuel and the rather small oil tank capacity. I’ve souped up 2 or 3 441’s now and am quite pleased with the results vs stock performance. They wake up considerably. Just not my first pick for a stock as is 70cc saw... personal preference.

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A nice used 441C should serve you well. I really like mine. Efficient chainsaw. The Home Depot's 6400 is a steal for what you get and they run bigger than they are. But bars are different than Stihl and you have a 362 which would be interchangeable.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A nice used 441C should serve you well. I really like mine. Efficient chainsaw. The Home Depot's 6400 is a steal for what you get and they run bigger than they are. But bars are different than Stihl and you have a 362 which would be interchangeable.

You can run Stihl bars on those dolmars with a $12 adapter. The studs are closer than the Husqvarnas, so it doesn't even require lengthening the slot.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 441 for a short bit. Good saws in my opinion but I liked the 440 better. After getting a 462, I'm considering selling my MMWS 362 to get the 462 ported. The 462 handles great and doesn't feel mush bigger than the 362. SO, another option is part with the 362 and buy a 462.

66Fleetside

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A stock 441 has to be the biggest turd of a 70cc saw I've ever ran and the oiler is stingy. A muffler mod, oiler mod and timing advance help them considerably. Ported they are quite strong and I like them. There biggest downfall is the complexity, especially on the mtronic version.

I gather they are more complex than the more modern M-Tronic?

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 441 is definitely more at home with a 24" bar and less.
I do have a GB Titanium 32" bar for it.
Run 3/8 050 full comp semi chisel.

Have asked it to do lots of stuff in the 40"-60" range over the years.
Sharp chain and patience.

Here's some pics.
This is the most recent "big" job. 58" Red Oak. Around 7 cord split, out of this tree.

Attachments

• big oak 2.jpg
    big oak 2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 41
  • big oak 3.jpg
    big oak 3.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 40
  • big oak 4.jpg
    big oak 4.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 41

66Fleetside

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have not and would not seek a 441 for anything. I love me an 044 though.

I don’t know that I’m really seeking one. Just curious what they’re worth in case I stumble across a deal. Here’s a local example:

Attachments

• 801C7462-26F7-4012-B090-7521F0EE725D.jpeg
    801C7462-26F7-4012-B090-7521F0EE725D.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 28

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The price is low enough but the saw doesn't look to have had an easy life.
Might be some better deals in the classifieds here...
The only maintenance I've done on mine in 13 years is new rim sprockets, a spark plug and a new fuel filter. Have kept the air filter and saw fairly clean.
Compression feels very good. Pull start handle will hold the saw for quite a few seconds.
Have been very careful about only running non-eth fuel and a good (in my mind) quality mix.