ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not only does the 462 have a short stroke (34mm) but it also has a 'lighter' metal flywheel. Is it lighter than a 460/461 poly FW? What affect does a lighter flywheel have besides benefiting acceleration? Does it affect torque? powerband? Does the M-tronic help offset negative affects of a lighter FW if there are any?

I think it would be interesting to see a stock 462c-m up against a standard ms462 tuned to a brown plug and see what the difference if any is. Pretty please. @tree monkey @Redbull661

Best possible throttle response would be it. Same reason ford made the rods so light in the 6.7 powerstroke, they wanted to keep the engine as snappy as possible. Until they realized the original design was a joke and the new rods weigh the same but they moved the material around.

So probably, if you could put a heavier flywheel on a 462 it'll pull harder. Think of a wood chipper.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would have more inertia, and slower throttle response, but it would not pull any harder.

That would work if you kept the trigger pulled all the time, not a good idea.

If you pull the trigger to cut the branch, fast throttle response is what you want.

Two seconds into a cut, it won't make any difference at all.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flywheels store energy and can be used as a tuning tool. Lighter the flywheel the more rapid acceleration/throttle response & lighter the unit will be. A major difference in 2t enduro bikes compared to MX is gearing and flywheel weight. A bit of weight in the flywheel can tame the power for better traction and assist in engine braking, climbing hills etc. For a general worksaw I can't see it being beneficial, a race saw 'perhaps'.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would have more inertia, and slower throttle response, but it would not pull any harder.

That would work if you kept the trigger pulled all the time, not a good idea.

If you pull the trigger to cut the branch, fast throttle response is what you want.

Two seconds into a cut, it won't make any difference at all.

Well technically it would help because of the extra rotating mass. Not sure this would be the saw to do it with though. Can't fix the short stroke, other than stroking it.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have run a ms440 with both the light flywheel and heavy old style. For sure without a doubt the heavy flywheel has more cutting capacity than the light one. Holds rpm better when depth gauges are filed aggressivly.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its all about feel. Numbers arnt everything, flywheel weight dont change the numbers. Same goes for the 038 mag. Its the FEEL that is whats we perceive as power. My log splitter with a heavy flywheel, i can shut off the engine at max rpm and still split a block with the left over inertia