Micrometer & Calipers

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking for set of dial calipers and a micrometer.
I don't like stuff that runs on batteries and don't want vernier. I have vernier now.

I'm leaning toward the two below.
Can any of you guys, who use measuring tools regularly, help me out.
Are there others I should be looking at, or a reason not to consider these?
image.png

image.png

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking for set of dial calipers and a micrometer.
I don't like stuff that runs on batteries and don't want vernier. I have vernier now.

I'm leaning toward the two below.
Can any of you guys, who use measuring tools regularly, help me out.
Are there others I should be looking at, or a reason not to consider these?
View attachment 225958

View attachment 225959

I use a set very similar to those if not the exact same. They work great for shop use. Might not be the best for extreme accuracy but work well if you aren't doing blueprint builds.

They are pretty accurate for the price point. I like that they are fast, solid and easy to read.

No need to go more expensive unless you need 100% true precision. In that case you are going to want something certified, get a calibration certificate and keep it up to date.

Steven

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also......

Quick tip. Store the measuring instruments in a wooden box to help control climate/ moisture. A while back they came that way. But now most come in a crap plastic case.

A cigar box works well. You can snag one from a tobacco shop cheap or free if you ask nice hahaha.

Steven

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Also......

Quick tip. Store the measuring instruments in a wooden box to help control climate/ moisture. A while back they came that way. But now most come in a crap plastic case.

A cigar box works well. You can snag one from a tobacco shop cheap or free if you ask nice hahaha.

Steven
Does this mean we have to take pics of the box and post them? For the good of the community....and stuffs

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've bought the Mitutoyo's at an auction for 12 bucks .The 0-1"mics were my dads ,Starrett carbide faced .The box was also my dads ,Gerstner .Inside that box are tools my great grandfather brought from England in Feb 1900 and my dads journeyman card .I'm the 4th generation to own them .
I might add I have another set of 0-1" Starrett mics I bought off flea bay for 12 bucks and I already had the "proof blocks ".Those are at my shop with mics up to 6"all Starrett . I also have a set of internal Starrett mics up to 6" .

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.
I store what I have now in a wooden box but not for the right reasons.
It sounds like I'm on the right track. I do need to look at the stuff from Shars.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a thought on this .I'm very old school and as such I'm not fond of electronic type of measurement devices such as micrometers and calipers .Unless they are high end which most including myself can't afford .I've seen so many people put dimensions that I know for a fact are not correct using inexpensive electronic devices .I never said a word about it .I will add this a manual set of either device will be good enough for any chainsaw related work .It's not a part for the space shuttle but a couple thou off could cause some problems . Those old Starretts or Brown and Sharps will get-er down to under a thou,all the time every time if you know how to use them .

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wait... How do you use it if there's no screen?

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a thought on this .I'm very old school and as such I'm not fond of electronic type of measurement devices such as micrometers and calipers .Unless they are high end which most including myself can't afford .I've seen so many people put dimensions that I know for a fact are not correct using inexpensive electronic devices .I never said a word about it .I will add this a manual set of either device will be good enough for any chainsaw related work .It's not a part for the space shuttle but a couple thou off could cause some problems . Those old Starretts or Brown and Sharps will get-er down to under a thou,all the time every time if you know how to use them .
I use the micrometer to measure lead slugs that have been driven through the barrels of single action revolvers, to determine bore size. I can then match sized cast bullets to the bore. I also measure the throats of the cylinder, with pin gauges to see if they need to be opened up. I'm looking for a cylinder throat 1/1,000th larger than the bore groove diameter and a bullet to match.

old iron

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hornaday sell's a nice dial caliper for around 40,00,I have one and also a Starrett,it may not be as durable but they both measure the same,you can catch them on sale at Brownells and Midway

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Boolits like these guys.. you guys think chainsaws are addictive... I think you'll be good with the tools mentioned for this.IMG_20200211_232317468.jpg
IMG_20191012_212129190.jpg

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had the same Mitutoyo 6" dial calipers that you are looking at for close to 40 years. They work as well today as they did when I bought them new. Very consistent readings and match up well with micrometer readings at various places on the scale. I have bought a few digital calipers over the last few years, but I always go to the dial calipers when I want a critical reading with no error. The digital calipers have not always been trustworthy.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Who makes a reasonably prices metric dial caliper I can buy made here?
Never had any luck with the digital type. They just go nuts one days. Tried batteries... no luck really. They just don't stay right... they skip. Tossed them out, trash.