Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took the trip to my dealer on Monday and came home with all these empty bottles. Didn't have to remortgage my house, but it was close. There's 20 cases of quarts, 20 of pints, 30-12oz flasks, and 30-8oz flasks. rps20190424_060245_278.jpg

Also, since we had a good year, I took the plunge and bought a filter press. Other than small stuff like hydrometers, taps, tubing, etc, this is the only piece of syrup equipment that I've bought new. I'm pretty excited. rps20190424_060608_984.jpg

Had a good crew yesterday and the press made filtering a breeze. Normally we do about 35-40 gallons in a day when we're bottling and there's a lot of time spent cleaning filters afterward. Yesterday we did 67 gallons. I'm hoping we can get the rest bottled in one day later this week. Without the press we would have had to do 4 bottling days instead of 2. :)

rps20190424_061015_174.jpg

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks good Ryan! Any idea what you ended up with?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not exactly sure, but I should have a firm number by this time tomorrow. We've bottled 140 gallons so far, and I'm hoping to finish up the rest tomorrow. Might be 50 gallons left, might be 70, not sure.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wrapping up now. There was a little more left than I thought. Bottled 81.5 gallons today, making our total number for the year 222.5 gallons. I couldn't be happier.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good job Ryan, lots of work!
Happy how the filter press worked?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good job Ryan, lots of work!
Happy how the filter press worked?

Blown away actually. It made my job of getting syrup into the bottling tank much easier since I was pumping it instead of pouring pails. All I had to do was ensure the right density was coming out of the pan and it pretty much did the rest. It did about 45-55 gallons before needing the cake plates emptied and the papers changed, which takes about 8 or 10 minutes.

After seeing that it was full (pressure gauge) I sucked a gallon of hot distilled water through the press and when I took it apart the cakes and filters were hardly even sticky. So not only is it much faster, but it's better at getting all the syrup into bottles instead of stuck in a filter or mixed with sugar sand.

We bottled 147 gallons in two afternoons. With cone filters it would have taken us four. And the syrup looks great in the bottles. I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, but it's true what they say, after it goes through the press it really sparkles.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blown away actually. It made my job of getting syrup into the bottling tank much easier since I was pumping it instead of pouring pails. All I had to do was ensure the right density was coming out of the pan and it pretty much did the rest. It did about 45-55 gallons before needing the cake plates emptied and the papers changed, which takes about 8 or 10 minutes.

After seeing that it was full (pressure gauge) I sucked a gallon of hot distilled water through the press and when I took it apart the cakes and filters were hardly even sticky. So not only is it much faster, but it's better at getting all the syrup into bottles instead of stuck in a filter or mixed with sugar sand.

We bottled 147 gallons in two afternoons. With cone filters it would have taken us four. And the syrup looks great in the bottles. I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, but it's true what they say, after it goes through the press it really sparkles.

I really need to get me some of that this year...

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:google:Mmmmmmm. Sweet delicious REAL maple syrup!! Anyone wanting to sell some and send it to Oregon? :eusa_dance:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to get down to Iowa again next spring. Sure had a nice time at Hosky hills. If I'm there, I'll be packing again. :)

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Boiled sap bootlegger... :applaudit:

Biggest run to date was 110 gallons bottled in quarts trucked from Wisconsin to California in my '90 F250. Bottled it up on a Friday. It was still warm Saturday night when I rolled out my sleeping bag in the back of the truck in Montana.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Biggest run to date was 110 gallons bottled in quarts trucked from Wisconsin to California in my '90 F250. Bottled it up on a Friday. It was still warm Saturday night when I rolled out my sleeping bag in the back of the truck in Montana.
That's awesome.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like 2020 is gonna be a crap year for syrup. Anyone planning to tap in the next few weeks??