Makita Dolmar 6100 thoughts.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just wanted to hear peoples views on these underrated saws. Well maybe not underrated but not as used/desired as the Stihl/Husqvarna counterparts.

I’ve had one for a while now and it just keeps getting better and better. Apart from the small mount I can’t see a problem. People say it is heavy but for 60cc I don’t see it being too different from a 562 or 362. People say it is fat, but heck the handle sticks out more than the recoil so that comment is null and void. I understand a 50cc needs to be nimble and light but a 60cc for me is a workhorse not a pocket rocket. And for a workhorse it has torque for days @ 60cc

Anyway I am happy with mine, wanna hear others opinions and also wanna hear what else can be got out of them. I know the 421’s need the cat removed etc. What do these 6100’s need or want, if anything.

Cheers guys, fire away.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get it ported! I thought it was kind of a dog at first but now love it. And with its big size comes the benefit of holding more fuel and oil than the 7900. I got a modded oiler I need to install and test out, running a 24" was a little too dry for my liking.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
5:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock the one I had felt very similar to a 372XT in my hands, in power, handling, and size/weight. Minus some balls. Very powerful and snappy 60cc saw. Silky smooth Dolmar AV. More powerful than my 562. Just, well, big...

357 and 6100
20190126_155855.jpg

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get it ported! I thought it was kind of a dog at first but now love it. And with its big size comes the benefit of holding more fuel and oil than the 7900. I got a modded oiler I need to install and test out, running a 24" was a little too dry for my liking.

I think in a year or so I will pull it apart (cylinder) until then I wanna just gauge what you guys think or are doing. [emoji106] I was dubious when I got it but I find myself using it for firewood over my 365xt and 545. Purely on the basis that it’s nicer to run that the 365 and far more grunty than the 545.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock the one I had felt very similar to a 372XT in my hands, in power, handling, and size/weight. Minus some balls. Very powerful and snappy 60cc saw. Silky smooth Dolmar AV. More powerful than my 562. Just, well, big...

357 and 6100
View attachment 206229

I find it feels lighter and nicer than my 365xt, not much size difference though [emoji3525]. But like I said I dot really care about the size. The av and feel more than makes up for it.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think in a year or so I will pull it apart (cylinder) until then I wanna just gauge what you guys think or are doing. [emoji106] I was dubious when I got it but I find myself using it for firewood over my 365xt and 545. Purely on the basis that it’s nicer to run that the 365 and far more grunty than the 545.
This makes sense, and we're all different. I have hot-rodded saws in a couple different sizes, but my favorite is a 60 right now.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This makes sense, and we're all different. I have hot-rodded saws in a couple different sizes, but my favorite is a 60 right now.

I notice all your 50cc 346 and the likes. I love a 346, but finding a tidy one is impossible now, especially in the uk. 60cc and a saw for milling wood for the house DIY is all I need. But CAD has the better of all of us on here..

Finnlogger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's my fourth year using this saw in pro logging, and it has proven to be most of all very reliable. Only had to replace some small parts here and there, where as my 560 husky spent a lot of time in the shop for repairs. The weight is not an issue for me, i like the large tanks and long runtime very much. The bulky starter doesn't affect handling in any way, but the easy start system has done wonders on my injured shoulder. I run mine with .325 narrow kerf and 8 teeth rim sprocket usually in sizes 15 and 20 inches. High chain speed but still torqy. See the saw in action on instagram @Finnlogger

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's my fourth year using this saw in pro logging, and it has proven to be most of all very reliable. Only had to replace some small parts here and there, where as my 560 husky spent a lot of time in the shop for repairs. The weight is not an issue for me, i like the large tanks and long runtime very much. The bulky starter doesn't affect handling in any way, but the easy start system has done wonders on my injured shoulder. I run mine with .325 narrow kerf and 8 teeth rim sprocket usually in sizes 15 and 20 inches. High chain speed but still torqy. See the saw in action on instagram @Finnlogger

Ever had the throttle cable pop loose at the carb?

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I follow you on Instagram. [emoji106]

Both the 421 and 6100 are brilliant easy starters. Like both the saws. The builds on these are very good. In and around the clutch area on these are very heavy duty IMO. How does a 15” balance? I was going to order a 15” x-force bar and x-cut chain for some woodland thinning.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I follow you on Instagram. [emoji106]

Both the 421 and 6100 are brilliant easy starters. Like both the saws. The builds on these are very good. In and around the clutch area on these are very heavy duty IMO. How does a 15” balance? I was going to order a 15” x-force bar and x-cut chain for some woodland thinning.

They both use the same clutch if you didn't know along with the 5105.

Finnlogger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ever had the throttle cable pop loose at the carb?

Never. Here's a list of fixes that i recall:
Coil replaced under warranty, had been badly assembled, coil wire rubbed against the flywheel, causing grounding.
Carb diagphrams changed.
Throttle safety mechanism broke when i fell on it.
Muffler gutts broke loose last week.
Top cover replaced when it wore and rattled loosely.
Handle heater wiring repaired.
Chain catcher replaced many times, is quite week.
Engine still in prestine condition, i run alkylate fuel with cheapest full synt oil.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Never. Here's a list of fixes that i recall:
Coil replaced under warranty, had been badly assembled, coil wire rubbed against the flywheel, causing grounding.
Carb diagphrams changed.
Throttle safety mechanism broke when i fell on it.
Muffler gutts broke loose last week.
Top cover replaced when it wore and rattled loosely.
Handle heater wiring repaired.
Chain catcher replaced many times, is quite week.
Engine still in prestine condition, i run alkylate fuel with cheapest full synt oil.
Are you using Aspen 4 to mix your own fuel ?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and I found this out recently with the help of Nate @fordf150 an Echo 590 clutch tool can be made to work after a little filing and is waaaaaay cheaper.