cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am responsible for buying a Christmas gift for an Uncle of mine and I’ve narrowed it down to a Stihl 261. Have they got the bugs worked out of the 261? Which would y’all buy for someone that just cuts firewood for his OWB? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In other words would you get M-Tronic or not?

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I f'ing love mtronic. I don't have to d!ck around tuning the saw. I just pick it up and use it.

That said, if something goes wrong with the saw it'll be more difficult to diagnose and fix. But I'm OK with that.

Is your uncle old school and would rather have something he can fix himself? Or like things "just work" without him knowing how to tune a saw? That will tell you which to pick.

Or better yet - tell the dealer it's a gift and you'd like the right to swap it for a non-mtronic if your uncle prefers that.

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is your uncle old school and would rather have something he can fix himself? Or like things "just work" without him knowing how to tune a saw?

He doesn’t work on anything himself. If anything is wrong he tells me to fix it.

I am his saw mechanic and the less I have to fool with the better. At one time I enjoyed working on saws, but those days are gone. I do still enjoy tinkering on my own stuff, but nothing for anyone else.

Looks like the better option will be the M-Tronic. I’ve always wanted to run one a while at a non gtg setting, so I guess I’ll get the chance.