High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Lost in string trimmer selection process - Stihl, Echo, or ....

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
10:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Looking at the Husqvarna 128LD and 322L, it is really hard to tell what is different between them. The 322L appears to be significantly lighter with more power even though the engine is smaller for ~$40 more. Does the 322L have a much better engine? What else is different?

Also, both the Echo and Husqvarna websites leave a lot to be desired. Husky makes it very hard to tell what is 4-stoke and what is 2-stroke. Echo's website is just plain terrible.

On the Huskvarna's, what is the difference between an L, LS, and LST? Some say X-torq motor but, is seems like the only difference was a gear reduction for the trimmer head speed. :thinking:

TIA,
Sid
Husqvarna has only 1 four stroke model a few years ago it was the 224l now it is 324l it uses a Honda GX25 engine. great trimmer to.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Get you a redmax they are awesome i paid nothing for mine.
hehe
20160525_195849.jpg

CTYank

Killer of Invasives
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
tanaka is made in china now i would avoid it like the plague.

Guess you're implying people should run & hide from iphones and other Apple stuff too? Turns out the 3 Tanaka machines I have were all made in Japan. All are un-demanding, hard-working little critters. With proper QC and QA from Hitachi/Tanaka I fully expect that to continue; would be nice if they pass along any further cost-savings.
The designs are the important part here, making machines that are way lighter than some creamsicle alternatives, without sacrificing durability. Then, it's about materials, workmanship and inspection.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guess you're implying people should run & hide from iphones and other Apple stuff too? Turns out the 3 Tanaka machines I have were all made in Japan. All are un-demanding, hard-working little critters. With proper QC and QA from Hitachi/Tanaka I fully expect that to continue; would be nice if they pass along any further cost-savings.
The designs are the important part here, making machines that are way lighter than some creamsicle alternatives, without sacrificing durability. Then, it's about materials, workmanship and inspection.
whats an iphone? all newer tanaka equipment in the last year has been switched to china. nothing wrong with the older tanaka equipment.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've been away from Stihl since 2005 so no opinion on their current trimmer models but I have heard good things about the Echo's .

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No thanks Jake , I have my FR 350 for the big stuff and a little Echo GT200 that was free I fixed up for around the house .
I'm assuming you are not too fond of the FS 44 .

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No thanks Jake , I have my FR 350 for the big stuff and a little Echo GT200 that was free I fixed up for around the house .
I'm assuming you are not too fond of the FS 44 .
rather have a fs 120.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since the mention of Echo,I've got a dandy .The machine runs strong but one pole magnet in the flywheel goes weak every year .I have to stroke it with a big "rare earth" mag to get enough field so it fires then it runs okay until it sits all winter .

I think I have 5 trimmers that run including a two year old Stihl .I run nylon blades on the Stihl and Echo and string on the other three which don't get much use .If you look around you can buy the nylon blades in bulk like 3-4 dozen at a time for about the same price as 9 OEM blades . I'm not cheap I'm frugal .

CTYank

Killer of Invasives
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
whats an iphone? all newer tanaka equipment in the last year has been switched to china. nothing wrong with the older tanaka equipment.
(That's a high-profit Apple phone series designed and made in China, which you likely know.)
Then, come to think of it, you're saying we should steer clear of all OPE with (stihl's) Zama carbs too, being that they're made in China. If I read you right. IOW, that's silly, IMO.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i don't own a apple product and refuse to, im not saying to steer clear of china because most of what we consume comes from there.
IMO i don't like zama carbs these days because they are not reliable like the old japanese made zama's.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo SRM225, in your price range, dead reliable, and comes standard with the Speed Feed head which is so easy to load it should be illegal.

Joe

+1 for me here. I have had 2 (would still have the first one but someone stole it around this time a few years ago). The head is the cats-meow on the model I have. You don't have to remove the cup to string it -- just index it so you can see through the feed holes, then take off enough line of your supply spool to reach from hand to hand with your arms stretched out. Insert it through the feed area then turn the cup till it winds itself in till the proper length is sticking out to start weed eating. Absolutely fantastic!

Sid Post

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
East Texas between Dalls/Fort Worth and Texarkana
Country flag
+1 for me here. I have had 2 (would still have the first one but someone stole it around this time a few years ago). The head is the cats-meow on the model I have. You don't have to remove the cup to string it -- just index it so you can see through the feed holes, then take off enough line of your supply spool to reach from hand to hand with your arms stretched out. Insert it through the feed area then turn the cup till it winds itself in till the proper length is sticking out to start weed eating. Absolutely fantastic!

If you like that one, you really will really love the SRM-2620. Lighter weight, steel shaft, and more power with all the Echo goodness you already know about.

At Echo "appreciation" days, I got my string trimmer for about what an SRM-225 would run at Lowes or Home Depot. It was a nice upgrade from my friends SRM-225.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you like that one, you really will really love the SRM-2620. Lighter weight, steel shaft, and more power with all the Echo goodness you already know about.

At Echo "appreciation" days, I got my string trimmer for about what an SRM-225 would run at Lowes or Home Depot. It was a nice upgrade from my friends SRM-225.
Thanks MAN! I need to check that out!

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the echo 2620, Husqvarna 525L and LS, 430LS, and Stihl fs90, fs110,and fs130 models. As far as power to weight the Echo is best. The Husqvarna 525LS and 430LS are better balanced, lighter, and more comfortable to run IMHO. They have plenty of power for day to day commercial needs.

streem26

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My voice in favor of Hursqarna also , I used it more 8 years, but when it broken I decided to buy more budget I get Poulan Pro , as you know Poulan is made by Electolux, which makes Husqvarna also, so my choice is clear. This weed eater to me is great, because it is light and strong, the whole 28ss!

Last edited:

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the echo 2620, Husqvarna 525L and LS, 430LS, and Stihl fs90, fs110,and fs130 models. As far as power to weight the Echo is best. The Husqvarna 525LS and 430LS are better balanced, lighter, and more comfortable to run IMHO. They have plenty of power for day to day commercial needs.
What if u planned on running a blade to cut small trees? I know the fs130 has great torque