Little bit of white oak

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some family friends were hit pretty hard with some storms a couple weeks ago. I went over and helped clean up this little oak. I lived on this farm for about 10 years as a kid and remember swinging in this tree. Hate to see these go. I didn't get many other pics because Earl doesn't know how to work a phone. It out to make a few cords. Had to use 661 with a 36" bar from both sides. There a big section I can't cut, yet!

IMG_2171.JPGIMG_2170.JPG IMG_2169.JPG

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a big tree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is. It broke off where it was hollow, but the solid part was about 80" when I quit. The last chunk I cut off, it lacked about 2" holding it in the middle. The skid loader wouldn't touch it! I noodled off chunks to get the weight down. I was knee deep in noodles when I was done with one cut. I know I wish I had some skip chain for that big of a bar.

I hated to see this old tree go. It also got a barn and two silos.

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
White oak is a fabulous hardwood. Rot resistant, takes awhile to dry, hard as nails, barely floats, burns like coal. I've also made some very fine furniture and cabinets with it. My deck's flooring is made with quartersawn white oak, and I cut and installed every piece.

I have no complaints.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
White oak is a fabulous hardwood. Rot resistant, takes awhile to dry, hard as nails, barely floats, burns like coal. I've also made some very fine furniture and cabinets with it. My deck's flooring is made with quartersawn white oak, and I cut and installed every piece.

I have no complaints.
Nice! We are blessed with plenty around here for firewood. How did/do you treat the oak deck boards?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It won't resist rot forever if in contact with the ground . However I'd give it a close second to black locust and osage orange .

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I have no complaints.

tremendous work Edwin. wish you were closer...my deck is poo.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used a 2-step approach for treatment -- 1) let it sit fir six months and then coat it with a sealer; 2) stain it again the following year. Every two years I slap on another coat of stain. Decks take a beating in my climate.

As I recall, my deck floor, which also has a full flight of stairs, required 600 board feet of 5/4 quarter sawn white oak. The joists are 24" on center (not 16"), and the white oak spans that with ease. Nothing lasts forever, but this flooring has been down for about ten years now. There is now some rot here and there, but it's minimal and adds to the character. It's important to space the boards about 1/8" apart.

I was a computer programmer for years. Note the deck floor boards are random width as supplied by the sawyer. I wrote a program to randomly scramble the collection and then minimize the waste when I got to the required width. That was a fun project.