drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm still trying to figure out what a tuned pipe does for a saw.

I understand that the harmonics help pull exhaust out but also keep unburned chase in the cylinder.

Do porting numbers need to be changed to take full advantage of a pipe? If so, how?

I need to do some reading on the subject.

What programs are people using for the templates for the cones? I can Tig weld, and stainless is pretty easy. I'd need to back purge though.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
7:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pipes like a higher exhaust than what you would normally use for a work saw, more blowdown and longer intake duration

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm still trying to figure out what a tuned pipe does for a saw.

I understand that the harmonics help pull exhaust out but also keep unburned chase in the cylinder.

Do porting numbers need to be changed to take full advantage of a pipe? If so, how?

I need to do some reading on the subject.

What programs are people using for the templates for the cones? I can Tig weld, and stainless is pretty easy. I'd need to back purge though.
I'll give a shot at explaining it. Going from memory and making up the rest.
As you can see it is basically two funnels end to end. The exhaust exits into the first funnel as the diameter changes, is slows velocity and crates a vacuum to pull exhaust and unburned air/fuel mixture out of the cylinder. The exhaust then hits the restriction of the other funnel. This creates a shock wave of compressed exhaust which bounces back to the exhaust port of cylinder. Just like a shock wave radiating from an explosion as seen in slow motion film. This compressed wave is the un-burned air fuel that was pulled out of the cylinder earlier. The piston closes the exhaust port after the wave enters the cylinder, trapping it. At that point the cylinder has compressed fuel air mixture in it before the piston has even started compressing it. The diameter, rate of taper, engine rpm are just a few of the variables involved in designing the pipe. I have been lucky to have a conversation with Scott about pipes. It's cool stuff.
FWIW that is my understanding.