High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Land of big hardwoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't know Ohio had hills. This hillbilly needed a compass or was lost.

Took two of those white oaks from my place with over 200 growth rings,
Sad but they were dagobas. The first was stump rotting. That released growth of the second, that got lightning struck and split within a year.
Was offered a "maybe 500" for all the logs. I heated with them instead.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The north western side of the buckeye, where I live is flat as Kansas .To the east ,south and south west it can get like West"By God" Virginia. As far as Williams from the hills school they studied reading, writing and I-75 .Some stopped in this area on their way to Detroit and stayed .My wife RIP was a second generation with out the accent .As a red neck I fit right in:)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because this area is not a high impact logging area with only a few small hard wood mills you could actually get more money from fire wood than lumber logs .Problem is they have to be processed into same .Add to that a timber buyer only has to deal with a small wood land owner once in a life time .
That oak stump in my avatar was over 4 feet and 117 feet tall with 273 growth rings .Storm damaged and became a hazard or it would still be standing .I've got the logs but imagine by now there will be a lot of lose as they degrade .

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They only worry the city people lol
As long as you don't go trying to pickup and play with things that can bite and kill you it's fine you are safe in the bush
nothing is trying to kill you as long as you leave them be as they will you.
But yeah don't swim in rivers with crocs in them but that's a no brainer.

View attachment 196098 View attachment 196099 View attachment 196100

I do want to come visit down there once. I’d like to see the big hardwood trees. I don’t mess with any snakes until they’re dead already or I make them that way.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do want to come visit down there once. I’d like to see the big hardwood trees. I don’t mess with any snakes until they’re dead already or I make them that way.
Snakes don't worry me unless they are sunning themselves in the morning sun on the kitchen sink! Lol
Redbellys are good to have around as they eat brown snakes as well as there own kind!
I got this Redbelly on vid eating it's own kind I wasn't worried of it biting me as it had a mouth full! Ha..

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The property I manage has several oak over 60' with 6'+ at the base. Poplars over 100'. Ash, walnut and others over 50. Lots of large trees. We have an urban poplar a mile north of my house that's around 10' at the base and well over 100' tall.

Southern Minnesota here.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen huge trees in southern MN, but they were in the yard of some old monastery: Giant maples and such.

dmb2613

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you find what you are looking for I hope you can afford it. Land with timber like that on it brings top dollar around here

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Snakes don't worry me unless they are sunning themselves in the morning sun on the kitchen sink! Lol
Redbellys are good to have around as they eat brown snakes as well as there own kind!
I got this Redbelly on vid eating it's own kind I wasn't worried of it biting me as it had a mouth full! Ha..

That’s wild. Is it like a King snake here that’s not poisonous and eats the others?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be down in Charleston next month for a reunion of one of the submarines I was on . I've seen the live oaks which are nothing like northern reds and whites .I have no idea how in the world they found anything straight enough or long enough to cut the planking for "Old Ironsides ".I think they said it took like thousands of live oak and heaven only knows how many long leaf pine to build that thing .All axed and cross cut sawn .I can't imagine .

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s wild. Is it like a King snake here that’s not poisonous and eats the others?

They are poisonous but it is very weak a bit like us rattlesnakes , they have a very mild temperament do their best to keep out of your way I stopped Killing Them 20 years ago when I found out they ate brown snakes and tiger snakes those SOB will kill you stone dead......
Screenshot_20190825-043724_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190825-043705_Gallery.jpg

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are poisonous but it is very weak a bit like us rattlesnakes , they have a very mild temperament do their best to keep out of your way I stopped Killing Them 20 years ago when I found out they ate brown snakes and tiger snakes those SOB will kill you stone dead......
View attachment 196469

View attachment 196470

Over here a rattlesnake isn’t weak venom for the most part. Your guys snakes are on a level way above the US

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If any of you ever make it Charleston, go visit the Angel Oak. Pics don’t do it justice. There are also some massive live oaks in McClellenville town square just north of Charleston
View attachment 196437
No way it would be that big here. Ice storms would rip it to shreds. Darn it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love snakes, great big ones .They make the nicest western boots and belts .Small ones work well for hat bands

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over here a rattlesnake isn’t weak venom for the most part. Your guys snakes are on a level way above the US

Yeah, we got 20 of the 25 most venomous snakes in the world and the top 9 poisonous spiders, then there's all the stuff in the ocean that want to kill you, oh yeah, then there are the freaking insects like bull ants. Heck, we even have a bush that will kill you -

http://snaplant.com/trees/gympie-gympie-one-of-the-most-venomous-plants-in-the-world/

Makes for 'situational awareness'.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After that big blow down, (6 miles x 2 miles), I shot ten buck in a row in there.
The "hunters" said,
Too thick,
no feed

Huh??? When it's super thick, right after clearcutting or whatever, that's when there's the most food per acre. After it turns into pole woods, not so much.

I've talked to Dr. Alt, and I agree with him. The biggest problem in PA is that people refused to shoot does, and they overpopulated, and when they overpopulated, they ate all the acorns, saplings and small trees down to nothing. Now those areas are choked with ferns, so even if the acorns don't get all ate up, there's no light for them to grow. As a result, those old forests lost their "carrying capacity" to support deer, and they won't regenerate, and they'll basically get old and die, and then have to start over from scratch. In other words, the reason deer populations crashed in many parts of PA is because they were allowed to get way too overpopulated, and as a result, the over-abundant deer ate themselves out of house and home, and permanently changed the habitat for the worse, so that now, even if you imported new deer into those fern covered forests, there wouldn't be a fu$king thing for them to eat. Deer don't eat ferns. And there ain't much nutrition gnawing lichens off boulders.

This has happened in PA several times since the late 1800s. Deer were so abundant around Philly back in the early 1900s that the Game Commission had to hire sharpshooters to kill them off. The only way to tame the boom-and-bust cycle is to prevent the deer from overpopulating, and the only way to do that is to kill does. That's what we do here in VA. Our season is seven weeks, and we can take four deer but no more than one buck. And we have very healthy populations of deer.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Deer are browsers not grazers .They do better in "thickets " than the woods .As far as PA bucks I could never put antlers on them up around Erie .In this area of Ohio there's no doubt in question if it's a buck .We don't have any poisonous snakes .
In my old age I only hunt deer with a camera ,lost my desire for it .Snakes I keep a wide birth but if it were venomous I have a dandy 12 gauge that could eliminate that problem .