High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Killing the Killer

odin

100% noodle arms
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So I've got a little 024/024s project going on. One case is a bit busted up in one corner and the second one, while newer and mostly nicer has, what do you boys call it... the white death? That corrosion that looks like invisible rust? It's not too bad, but it's there and I'd rather deal with it now than have an unusable saw in a year or two.

So two questions: What causes it? And how can I stop it?

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chit Wipe down keep it away from the concrete but I know nothing:confundio:

odin

100% noodle arms
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks gents, I was kinda hoping a little cleaning and coverage with a rattle can would put a stop to it, or at least slow it down a good bit.

Dang, that Alodine sure is spendy stuff. :eek:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read somewhere you're not supposed to use a wire brush. Not sure. Some sort of chemical reaction. I'd clean it up best I could (probably with a wire brush), spray it off with carb cleaner, skim it over with jb weld, and paint it

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The word I got is that a brass brush is ok. Pieces of steel from a regular wire brush supposedly get embedded in the Mag and start electrolysis. I've never worried too much about it, because if the saw is going back into service, then the movement of fuel/oil mixture will help mitigate the corrosive reaction that was allowed to occur. I've done the JB Weld thing, I've done the prime and paint thing, and I've done the marine epoxy thing on white death on the exterior of a case.

Last edited: