How does the spark plug look?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to apologize in advance or posting this in the chainsaw section but it will get more looks than in the section for mowers and more.

This NGK BPM8Y plug is out of my Maruyama M30QC combi system. When I got it, it was lean on the low side and pig rich on the high side. I adjusted the low side so it would have more instant throttle response and not be so cold-blooded, and left the high speed jet for two tanks. I was getting all kinds of drool out of the muffler, so I readjusted the high side to where it's turning 10,000+ RPMs with 9" .095 trimmer line out each side.

I got five more tanks (.6liter capacity) out of it since readjustment. Mostly it's pulling an edger attachment or a tiller attachment.

I know a brown color is more optimal for a spark plug.

20230404_152246.jpg20230404_152252.jpg20230404_152306.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am far from an expert. IMHO, that plug does not look bad. Yes, you could run richer and be fine, but the plug is not showing a to lean condition either. Again IMHO. I personally would not lean it out anymore. As your weather warms up it will richen up.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hard to say for sure, but id say that looks a touch lean. looks more white than the paper bag brown you typically wanna see

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is another opinion. I agree with @cus_deluxe on just need a fuzz richer. But the oil mix is leaving a deposit film and some small carbon particles. What mix are you using? I'm assuming the spark arrestor screen is plugging with the same material. So I would clean the screen or leave out for a couple tank fulls, clean the air filter, new plug, and read the plug again after a tank or two. Do all this before tweaking the carb adjustments. Hope this helps.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Currently I'm using Husky XP+ 50:1. It has reduced some of the drool out of the muffler. Before that I was using VP syn at 50:1.
This is what it looked like on the VP oil 50:1 with the same carburetor settings as it is now.
20220119_135531.jpg

Edited to add that I ditched the spark arrestor the first day I bought the machine.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So whatever oil mix you are using now expect some clean up time on engine internals. And yes leave the screen out during that run time would be my suggestion sir. And if that is a catalytic muffler which I assume it is. More chances than not is is partially plugged and will never clean itself up. That is a nice 30cc trimmer. You had it long?
Sorry to keep going on and on about this. But a plugged muffler builds internal heat. Which is another reason why the plug base is turning blue on you.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So whatever oil mix you are using now expect some clean up time on engine internals. And yes leave the screen out during that run time would be my suggestion sir. And if that is a catalytic muffler which I assume it is. More chances than not is is partially plugged and will never clean itself up. That is a nice 30cc trimmer. You had it long?
Sorry to keep going on and on about this. But a plugged muffler builds internal heat. Which is another reason why the plug base is turning blue on you.
Yeah man I don't even know where the screen is at I tossed it on the first day. And it has a completely open muffler. The most open muffler I ever seen on a piece of OPE. You can look all the way through it from the exhaust side to the outlet side.
20220119_141856.jpg
And yeah man I really do like this combi system. It replaced a Stihl FS 111. It's lighter and has more balls. I'll put a 10 lb weight on the shaft above the tiller attachment and it'll just keep on digging and ripping roots out of the ground.
20220225_143840.jpg20220225_145149.jpg

It also has an old school feel to it like trimmers from the 1980s, and to me that's not a bad thing. Even the throttle doesn't have some sort of safety override before you press it.
20210406_164751~2.jpg

I never heard of this company until my local OPE dealer started selling them a couple years back. It won't be my last purchase either. The quality of the machine other than it drooling oil at the muffler, is really good. And it's got a great warranty without having to buy extra oil if you know what I mean.

Last edited: