High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

JB Weld: the magic goo

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
OK, how many of you use the epoxy steel, and what is the weirdest thing that you have used it on? What did it fail on? I hear that guys use it to fill scored jugs in chainsaws and the like. I have used to for tons of stiff, and always have a few tubes of it around.

I was fixing my PU truck door hinge mount with it today. Seems to be holding fine. I also used it to mount a magnet on some plastic but that failed to hold fast to the plastic for some reason. Maybe I need to rough up the plastic surface?

Last edited:

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just finished a 390 for a tree service that just got rid of their normal guy who "repaired" their saws.

One of the bar studs was not staying put, it would push right into the oil tank. The prior guy used RTV silicone to attempt on holding the stud in and keeping the oil in the tank. I ended up putting JB weld on the back side of the stud to keep it from pushing into the tank.. We will see if it holds.

Until now, I really have not used JB on much.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a saw in my barn where it looks like someone smeared JB weld around a oil seal on a PM 610. I am assuming there was a air leak and it was a attempted fix.

B

Backyard Lumberjack

I just finished a 390 for a tree service that just got rid of their normal guy who "repaired" their saws.

One of the bar studs was not staying put, it would push right into the oil tank. The prior guy used RTV silicone to attempt on holding the stud in and keeping the oil in the tank. I ended up putting JB weld on the back side of the stud to keep it from pushing into the tank.. We will see if it holds.

Until now, I really have not used JB on much.

>Until now, I really have not used JB on much

I have used JB for many years, both professionally and for personal use. on many applications it works super. it has its limitations. I have not found it to do well in an oily environment, especially with vibrations. proper dry parts, clean parts application is important as is a good 24 hr set up time for the regular stuff. 48 grs is even better! I have some fast set, but not used it yet. unset it is water soluble. I most recently fixed a broken lug in the thermoplug on my elec fry pan... I use it frequently, and use the same mix pad... stir stick - P2090002.JPG

P2090002.JPG

P2090004.JPG it is quite thick...

Attachments

• P2090003.JPG
    P2090003.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:

RocketRoss57

Taco Bell Aficionado
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a crack in a fuel tank on a wild thing. Roughed up the plastic with some 80 grit and slobbered some on there. Still holding today without a single drip. This was about three years ago now!. I also have had it sealing up a cracked tank on a 029 for about a year... Also success!​

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Many years ago when my dad commercially fished he hit a log with the set boat. It cracked the lower unit just above the prop shaft in the front edge of the case. I roughed up the area and put jb weld on it. We let it dry overnight and then refilled the gearcase. It held for the rest of the season and the next four years till we traded to a new motor.

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My first full time job in the early 60s was in a TV shop across the street from the birth place of J-B WELD.
It was a family owned auto parts store.

Where was that?

And welcome to OPE...

B

Backyard Lumberjack

My first full time job in the early 60s was in a TV shop across the street from the birth place of J-B WELD.
It was a family owned auto parts store.

oic, that is interesting! so do you know how he actually discovered the process? their history says he was experimenting with the idea of 2 mixes... and such. but wonder if there is more inside stuff to how and what took place that he knew he had a winner. was it by accident, or just next trick in line? got any inside stuff?

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use Devcon to bed my rifles actions into the stocks
I used JB Weld to repair a hole and pitting in the sprocket cover on my 026
My dad used it to bog up some rust holes in his box trailer.

Its great stuff!

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I used to use it to fix washed out pods and seats on rig mud pumps all the time. Waterweld is also a great product from the jb weld family.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a crack in a fuel tank on a wild thing. Roughed up the plastic with some 80 grit and slobbered some on there. Still holding today without a single drip. This was about three years ago now!. I also have had it sealing up a cracked tank on a 029 for about a year... Also success!​
I was just about to post a similar use for jb weld, I too had an old lawn hornet split shaft trimmer that's fuel tank was leaking with fine 'old age' cracks about 3 or 4 leaks, tried fixing with a sealer and it lasted about a week. peeled that off rubbed area with sand paper and applied the jb weld spreading it fairly thin. Not a drop of leakage in two months of regular use. It is very versatile stuff. The color is not the best for clear fuel tanks but I really was not worried about that as it was where the tank was hidden. Good color for using on metal etc. l bought the two little tubes over a year ago for a carb issue I was fixing but I have used jb for many little repairs since and got my money's worth out of it ages ago. Impressive how it can be drilled/tapped too which could be good for many odd plastic/metal repairs.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
9:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having listened to gunfire, motorcycles and chainsaws all my life I hear the tv better thru a rocketfish headset, the other day I broke the left side off, patched em rite up with JB Weld.

CrufflerJJ

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tried to use JB Weld to patch some rusted pinholes (about 0.02-0.03" diameter) on an upper section of a steel Jerry Can. I degreased the metal nicely & applied the JB Weld, and let it cure a couple days. Once I filled the Jerry Can (exposing the repair) to gasohol fumes & liquid, it bubbled up off the steel panel.

I ended up patching it with multiple layers of POR15 gas tank sealer.

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I once patched a hole in a crank case on an outboard motor with jb weld,The patch held for many years,I just remembered that repair when I started reading this thread.Prepping the repair area is the key to success with the magic goo.

CrufflerJJ

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The weirdest thing I repaired with JB Weld was a Russian SVT40 rifle (7.62x54R caliber). The chamber had half a dozen shallow pits in it. When the weapon was fired, the case would expand to fill the pits, making it hard to extract the fired case.

I tried polishing things, but extraction still sucked.

I degreased the chamber with brake cleaner, plugged the barrel immediately in front of the chamber, applied a thin film of JB Weld to the chamber walls, and inserted a fired case (COATED WITH RELEASE AGENT!).

After the stuff cured, I removed the fired case, unplugged the bore, and used a finish chamber reamer to clean up the chamber (by hand).

It worked for years & years, until I sold the rifle (divulging my Bubba-repair job to the buyer).

Nitroman

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I use Devcon to bed my rifles actions into the stocks
I used JB Weld to repair a hole and pitting in the sprocket cover on my 026
My dad used it to bog up some rust holes in his box trailer.

Its great stuff!

I used JB to repair a laminated lathe table that had started to delaminate. I should get a photo of it to explain.

I have used stainless steel powder and bronze powder (very fine atomized powders both), mixed in with Acra-Glas for stocks. Works fantastic.