Insulation ?

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in an old house with a stone foundation with a dirt floor cellar. I am looking for some kind of insulation to put in my cellar windows to prevent the cold winter air from coming in. I have stuffed fiberglass batts in the openings in the past but that is some nasty stuff to use. The one opening has a vent pipe from my dryer in it so I would like to have something that is fireproof. I see ceramic fiber fireproof blankets advertised & wondering how nasty that stuff is to work with. Anyone have any ideas?

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would probably use foil backed rigid foam, and cut to fit, easy to remove and replace. If it just the air out for the dryer it shouldn’t get too hot, Is it flex or rigid pipe?

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How's the soil under the house? If moisture is an issue you should not close openings. You do want vent it out, instead letting it destroy your house. Just my 5sents.

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would probably use foil backed rigid foam, and cut to fit, easy to remove and replace. If it just the air out for the dryer it shouldn’t get too hot, Is it flex or rigid pipe?
The foam would be hard to cut to fit the rough openings, that is why I was thinking about a blanket of some kind to stuff in. It is a rigid pipe.
How's the soil under the house? If moisture is an issue you should not close openings. You do want vent it out, instead letting it destroy your house. Just my 5sents.
I understand you about the moisture. I always leave them open until the freezing weather comes.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess insulation under the floor is not very good. Old times they had other things in mind than chilly floors I guess. Venting out moisture while keeping out direct wind breeze itself may be difficult.
Maybe suggested moisture controller or something together with blocked windows is the best solution. Cost wise you loose some kWhs for operating that device but might get it back by less kWh used for heating your home.
I would go that way together with reliable moisture gauge.
Oh, almost forgot. Those fire blankets are quite user friendly - though product sold in Finland are most likely NOT the same they sell behind the big water.

Last edited:

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a picture of the opening, it might help

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess insulation under the floor is not very good. Old times they had other things in mind than chilly floors I guess. Venting out moisture while keeping out direct wind breeze itself may be difficult.
Maybe suggested moisture controller or something together with blocked windows is the best solution. Cost wise you loose some kWhs for operating that device but might get it back by less kWh used for heating your home.
I would go that way together with reliable moisture gauge.
Oh, almost forgot. Those fire blankets are quite user friendly - though product sold in Finland are most likely the same they sell behind the big water.
Any kWh used inside the space is heat, so at least in the would be beneficial in the winter

Eakf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ceramic blanket is worse than fiberglass, and you by no means need that kind of temperature rating. I was looking at using it on an insulated smoker firebox, and even the rockwool was rated plenty high.
If its double wall exhaust pipe thru there, spray foam might be enough to seal from the incoming air.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rockwool is my suggestion it's a lot like fiberglass but made from whipped molten rock so it's denser and more resistant to heat. What does fiberglass start to melt at 1000 degrees maybe and I think rockwool is twice that. I've only ever used it on an interior wall before for sound proofing which it worked well for.

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rockwool is my suggestion it's a lot like fiberglass but made from whipped molten rock so it's denser and more resistant to heat. What does fiberglass start to melt at 1000 degrees maybe and I think rockwool is twice that. I've only ever used it on an interior wall before for sound proofing which it worked well for.
I saw Rockwool online and was wondering about it. Would it stuff in fairly easy & conform to a rough opening?
Do you need protective gear to work with it?

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its a lot like fiberglass so you can easily stuff it into any shape/size opening.

no you don't need to wear gloves or anything

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its a lot like fiberglass so you can easily stuff it into any shape/size opening.

no you don't need to wear gloves or anything
It looks like this is what I will use. Thank goodness I don't need a lot because it isn't cheap.
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Could you make a wood frame for around the rough sections and then use foam insulation from the frame to rough and then add a replaceable insulation block for the inside of the frame?

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could you make a wood frame for around the rough sections and then use foam insulation from the frame to rough and then add a replaceable insulation block for the inside of the frame?
That is a good idea. I'll have to look at that when I get down in the cellar.
Thanks

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fiber glass is around a1000 degrees .You're deep in the ground which should be ground zero ,around 55 degrees year round .Just a simple box fan stirring the air should keep moisture from forming .

KcChiefs2019

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 sheets of plywood with some 2x4’s cut for framing. Placement of pipe cut ya a rigid 3” with extra 2 inch sticking out both sides. Fill it with Rockwool T25 on a 45* simple as it gets.

flh69

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 sheets of plywood with some 2x4’s cut for framing. Placement of pipe cut ya a rigid 3” with extra 2 inch sticking out both sides. Fill it with Rockwool T25 on a 45* simple as it gets.
Thanks for the reply but I don't understand what you are telling me.

KcChiefs2019

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A square with instruction in the middle capped over with plywood. Screw it in with T-25 screws. This way can be removed easily.