Husqvarna 2100 scored piston.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of piston, I put a golf piston in my 2100cd and had to rotate it 180deg, cant remember now if it would fit or not but I widened the exhaust port so I had no choise.
iirc I asked about it on this forum and others had had the same experience.

Newman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, Here is my best effort at cylinder polishing.. Went to 10 stores trying to find emery cloth today. Home Dumpster & Lowes didn't have a clue. One auto parts store had a roll for $36.. Mountain Truck in Longmont, CO was the winner, sold it by the foot. They only had 180 grit, but it seemed to work well. Manufactured a mandrel per Mastermind's instructions and cleaned any remaining deposits, then polished with Maroon Scotch-Brite (320-400 grit). There is one small Pit below the exhaust port, and some vertical scratches, but no ridges or protrusions. I have one new ring that's going in the top groove, will have to leave the slightly scores bottom ring as is. Then I will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for your help and advise on this matter. Regards, and Merry Christmas to All. MartinIMG_1901.JPG

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, Here is my best effort at cylinder polishing.. Went to 10 stores trying to find emery cloth today. Home Dumpster & Lowes didn't have a clue. One auto parts store had a roll for $36.. Mountain Truck in Longmont, CO was the winner, sold it by the foot. They only had 180 grit, but it seemed to work well. Manufactured a mandrel per Mastermind's instructions and cleaned any remaining deposits, then polished with Maroon Scotch-Brite (320-400 grit). There is one small Pit below the exhaust port, and some vertical scratches, but no ridges or protrusions. I have one new ring that's going in the top groove, will have to leave the slightly scores bottom ring as is. Then I will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for your help and advise on this matter. Regards, and Merry Christmas to All. MartinView attachment 210862

Much....much better.

Newman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I cleaned the inside of the cylinder 3 or 4 times with a spray can of Brake Parts Cleaner. Label says Acetone, Toluene, and Methanol. It appeared to have remove all of the residual WD-40 and any grit that was in there. The Pit and the scratches don't appear to have any residual residue remaining. I'll oil it up good and give a try with the muffler off so I can examine the side of the piston. Regards, Martin

Newman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Big Husky is back in action. Runs like a Champ, and the piston and rings are in great shape as viewed through the exhaust port.
Now that I understand what a polished cylinder should look like, I have greater confidence in my workmanship.. Thanks to all of you for educating me on this subject. I remember in the Navy, they always pressed the staunch ideology of "Attention to Detail". And the Marine Corp drill instructors didn't let you forget it.
A toast of Johnnie Blue to all of you. Regards, Martin

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An education is not free .It's a learning curve,ya done good
Before I forget .In the future if you need any type of abrasives or any type of hardware my favorite hardware store is McMaster -Carr . It's out of Chicago I think but they have a division in Cleveland which is around 100 miles for me .Open 7 and 24 .If I ordered something this morning I 'd have it tomorrow .

Last edited:

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Newman , I like your determination with this. Don’t forget my offer, if you need anything for that saw let me know. I guarantee I have it

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of piston, I put a golf piston in my 2100cd and had to rotate it 180deg, cant remember now if it would fit or not but I widened the exhaust port so I had no choise.
iirc I asked about it on this forum and others had had the same experience.

Same experience here with the Golf 2100 piston.