huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You must use a foredom as well no? I mean no disrespect by that. I was looking at some of the hf, vevor units etc but just kinda assumed they’d be junk and wouldn’t last long. Maybe I’ll give one a shot. Don’t have much to lose.
I bought an SR Foredom. The wires pulled out of the back of it, wore out two sets of brushes, and could never figure out how to keep the plastic outer sheath from getting hot and melting right at the end of the handpiece. So I went back to the harbor freight unit. I actually prefer it to the Foredom

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought an SR Foredom. The wires pulled out of the back of it, wore out two sets of brushes, and could never figure out how to keep the plastic outer sheath from getting hot and melting right at the end of the handpiece. So I went back to the harbor freight unit. I actually prefer it to the Foredom

I have two of them and never had a problem besides tearing up the occasional flex cable and I've managed to wear a few sheaths out.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a set of brushes in the harbor freight unit about every 8 months. It keeps ticking away.

Wow, I've yet to put a set of brushes in even my main SR which is 12yrs old now. Shows how many more saws you do a month than me!

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. I’m sure foredom makes a nice unit but that definitely speaks well for the hf unit. How’s the foot pedal feel, quality?

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the most overbuilt saws I’ve even been in was a 266. Tough as nails. Hard to kill. 038M competitor.

Husky had it right with the 2 series. Then some of the 3 series, which were modded 2 series. Then things went awry IMHO.
Yeah everyone seems to like a 262xp that’s for sure. And 288’s have a following as well. I don’t hear as much about the 272’s but I have heard a few guys that love them and prefer them to 372’s. Only thing I see there is I feel like 372’s are so popular and widely known that parts will be available for a long long time. Me personally hate front tensioners lol. But really not the end of the world. I think it’s just more cause cause I grew up with side tensioners so it’s what it “normal” to me. The new 272’s available definitely intrigued me. I bet they’re a strong ported saw that would last a long time.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. Now if hf or vevor had a lathe that would work lol.
My lathe was actually sold through Harbor freight 15–20 years ago. Lol. It’s a central machinery 9 x 19, same as the grizzly 4000 and several others like Enco, Jet, and a dozen other names I can’t remember. HF doesn’t sell it anymore

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My lathe was actually sold through Harbor freight 15–20 years ago. Lol. It’s a central machinery 9 x 19, same as the grizzly 4000 and several others like Enco, Jet, and a dozen other names I can’t remember. HF doesn’t sell it anymore
I looked up that grizzly 4000. It’s really not horribly priced for this day and age. Vevor does make a handful of lathes in that price range as well. Your “grizzly” has been pretty reliable? I suppose the lathe is the cheap part in the grand scheme of things. It’s everything else that you need along with it lol.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked up that grizzly 4000. It’s really not horribly priced for this day and age. Vevor does make a handful of lathes in that price range as well. Your “grizzly” has been pretty reliable? I suppose the lathe is the cheap part in the grand scheme of things. It’s everything else that you need along with it lol.
As far as the guts to the lathe, yes it’s been fine. I added a quick change tool post and I’ve had to dick around a little bit with upgrading the size of the tightening bolt since it was threaded into cast-iron and didn’t hold for long.

I was going through belts quite often but this last one has been on there for probably a year. It’ll probably blow tomorrow.

I actually paid more for the last couple 90s I bought bought than what I paid for the lathe. I gave $400 for it used, but had to put probably $600 into a 4 jaw chuck, indicators, tooling, tool post…..things like that

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the guts to the lathe, yes it’s been fine. I added a quick change tool post and I’ve had to dick around a little bit with upgrading the size of the tightening bolt since it was threaded into cast-iron and didn’t hold for long.

I was going through belts quite often but this last one has been on there for probably a year. It’ll probably blow tomorrow.

I actually paid more for the last couple 90s I bought bought than what I paid for the lathe. I gave $400 for it used, but had to put probably $600 into a 4 jaw chuck, indicators, tooling, tool post…..things like that

Tooling seems to always cost more than the machine.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No worries I didn't think you were insulting, I'm learning so I take everything/shared info and learn from it.

It is a replaceable shaft, it screws into the motor. It's the vevor sr hanging flex shaft. It's was 100 bucks Canadian vs 500 for a foredom. Figured I'd start cheap before expensive and better quality

I figured it would which is why I got it. I mean again it's just a cheap chinesium Amazon special. I ordered new OEM 272 block gaskets so hoping that helps a ton with the air leaks. I could get it to run just couldn't tune it I reset the carb too before starting but it ran hot and lean. Pressure tested the cylinder and that was fine, but with the block it would leak around gaskets. Tired the motoseal tricmk with no luck.
Sand the intake block flat new or used always check.