High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How to square file

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here is the one I was talking about. This one feeds smooth and cuts good. Idk why I had to go so low on the rakers. Maybe I need more forward lean?
ecb647f51c27071b48735f8af69c0f2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It has something to do with the angle from the cutter to the raker which effects the angle of the cutter entering the wood. To maintain that same angle as a new cutter when a cutter is filed/ground back the standard .025 depth on the raker starts going up. There's probably some mathematical formula somewhere. I remember an entire thread many moons ago but can't find. Someone please explain it better.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has something to do with the angle from the cutter to the raker which effects the angle of the cutter entering the wood. To maintain that same angle as a new cutter when a cutter is filed/ground back the standard .025 depth on the raker starts going up. There's probably some mathematical formula somewhere. I remember an entire thread many moons ago but can't find. Someone please explain it better.
Well right now this chain wouldn't feed on either of my AWOL saws unless I ran at least an 8pin no matter the wood. But i took this one down to the soft wood setting on a husky gauge and now it self feeds real nice even in white oak. I don't know if I'd plunge cut with it or not though.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well right now this chain wouldn't feed on either of my AWOL saws unless I ran at least an 8pin no matter the wood. But i took this one down to the soft wood setting on a husky gauge and now it self feeds real nice even in white oak. I don't know if I'd plunge cut with it or not though.

Found this post from 2010 - borrowed from AS. This explains it real nice.

"Setting proper raker heights to maintain the proper cutting angles can be very accurately made with the use of triginometry. With triginometry if you know the length of one side of a triangle and one angle you can find the lengths and angles of the other sides. This is can be very useful in a shop when drilling bolt circles and in many other applications.
In setting raker heights you need to know the length between the raker and the cutting edge or gullet, (One side of the triangle) and the desired angle (from top of tooth to top of raker). Most chains are around 6 degrees. Without giving an extensive math lesson I can tell you the multiple for 6 degrees is .10510. The formula requires you to multiply length of the gullet by .10510. An example would be a gullet measuring .250 or 1/4 inch. Multiply .250 by .10510 and you get .o2675. The top of the raker needs to be .026 inches lower than the top of the tooth. As the tooth to raker distance increases the raker height can be easily adjusted using this method to maintain the angle desired. I put the chain in a good straight vise so that the top of the teeth are even. Then using a straight edge and feeler gauge of the proper thickness for the desired angle I set the raker height.
Multiples for other angles are; 6 1/2 degrees = .1139."

Here's the rational why you chain was not feeding correctly. I would say yours is not 1/2 " = 0.52 depth. but somewhere in between which might put you somewhere in the 0.030-.045 raker depth.

"When the gullet width reaches 0.5" a 0.025" raker depth translates into a cutting angle of 2.9º, that means the cutter will take an initial bite of only half the amount of wood and make a lot more powder than chips."

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes..
It's the angle of engagement that is the defining measurement, not the raker height.
As the raker height is subjective to the length of radius between the raker and the working corner.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes..
It's the angle of engagement that is the defining measurement, not the raker height.
As the raker height is subjective to the length of radius between the raker and the working corner.
I have a digital angle finder to check some chains and see how whacked they have become. It has those neodymium magnets around the box. Cool tool.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a digital angle finder to check some chains and see how whacked they have become. It has those neodymium magnets around the box. Cool tool.
Are you just sitting it on the top of the cutter across the raker to see what angle it is?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Used vertical it should tell me how far off the face angle is from one to the next. Even means smooth. Smooth is faster on the mill. If the face and drags match it should last even longer and work better.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe, duno. Bought mine last year for front end alignments. Works good. Thought about it when someone mentioned angles of attack. Australian guy used to use one for checking milling chain.
That fella knows what he's talking bout..

Race chain is a little different, but solid principals are solid principals.