High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How do you run your saws

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I let mine war up a few seconds and then low mid throttle until the chain is oiling. Then wot.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On all new builds,

Two hail Mary's and one our father, then it's a run at high idle, a few blips and some time at regular idle to set the idle mix, then WFO like everyone else.

Highest tach I've seen was my ported MS260. It lacked torque but hit 16,900 without an air filter and still some burbling. I'm still not sure what I did differently on that saw. My others struggle to hit 14k.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I always let all my equipment warm up a bit before WFO. For my water cooled bikes and atvs, if the cylinder feels warm with your gloves on it's ready to ride.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am 41 and have never seen snow.
I have seen a bit of frost in the winter now and then on the way to work, but when i cut, its generally HOT.
If I dont end up with my shirt and jeans wet with sweat, I didn't try hard enough

I start the saw, drop it on the dirt and let it idle while I insert ear plugs, clean the safety glasses, put on gloves, have a drink of water.
Pick it and and drive it like I stole it.

Dog it in, make it cut,

The other week my brother and I were cutting some BIG timber and when wrestling with a 3' round, it fell on my 066, jamming the chain brake lever over the front of the muffler.
I had to kick it to free it up. Was jammed good
It survived, still works, but its an old Stihl ;)

When I am cutting its no messing about. Get the job done!
if anything breaks, it gives me something to do after work with a cold beer in hand

DSS

widebody
Local time
6:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I am 41 and have never seen snow.
I have seen a bit of frost in the winter now and then on the way to work...

Same here

1c5934b203de71c536f835b93317eb45.jpg

ff7df71e667aaa7d2fd2d7b3c07f53be.jpg

1cc6060c073665cc1f2effbb94d52c1f.jpg

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Start 'em, blip 'em a few times, wot to clear out any smoke (usually for a couple seconds), let idle a few seconds, cut wood (at WOT); I may go to half throttle when I get close to dirt. I don't dog 'em in and lever them unless absolutely necessary. With a sharp chain I don't think you have to.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need to blip that throttle a little till it warms up a little and revs clean.

This saw had made a few cuts already but you get the idea

That saw is running nice and the chain is cutting even nicer IMO. What saw is it?

Rains

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Warm them up for a minute than work it.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Have you never heard of cold seizing or cold scoring ?
Yes I have, but when you hold a saw at WOT with no load your taking away lubrication, Not adding it. Like I had said....I rev them a few times...then let them idle. But my weather around here normally is no colder than 25 degrees. There was a few times I've ran my saws in the 10 degree weather and in that case I idled them for a couple minutes before running them WOT. Load or no load.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A two stroke can be cold seized, mostly in cold weather. But if you fire up a saw that has been sittin at 10 degrees and drop it in a big log the piston can heat up and expand slightly faster than the jug causing a cold seize
I let my saws run for a bit if the weather is THAT cold. lol I let my weed eater idle for like 6 minutes before reving it when it was 10 out here. lol

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i saw this guys who was an arborist (or claimed to be one) warm the saw up by holding it WOT without a load....

so when others say "warm it up" what are they meaning? I assume they don't put it under the hood of their Prius to share it's engine's heat...
Just about everyone is gonna have a slight difference in how they warm up a saw. lol

AERDAVID

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After a little warm-up in to the wood and WOT till I think it's had enough ! Any real saw can take it.