High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How do you advance the timing on old chainsaws?

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How would I advance the timing on a poulan 31, would a larger points gap do it?

thumbnail_KIMG1630.jpg

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How would I advance the timing on a poulan 31, would a larger points gap do it?

View attachment 277054
Thats the understanding that it advances the spark ,but timing of the cylinder is still set with the flywheel. Really 2 different kinds of timing.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats the understanding that it advances the spark ,but timing of the cylinder is still set with the flywheel. Really 2 different kinds of timing.
If I take some off the key would it react like a modern day saw?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I take some off the key would it react like a modern day saw?
Possibly, but it is more likely to bite you(kick back) with the points set up.
Honestly some of the better results I get is from adding a chip and disconnecting the points. The chip has alittle more advance built in and if you do decide to shave the key you don't have to worry about affecting the dwell of the spark.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly some of the better results I get is from adding a chip and disconnecting the points. The chip has alittle more advance built in and if you do decide to shave the key you don't have to worry about affecting the dwell of the spark.
I have looked at the chips and they don't cost to much. Thanks for helping me out.

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is another bit of info I found enlightening on this subject. Still wrapping my head around the proper application of it though.
Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is another bit of info I found enlightening on this subject. Still wrapping my head around the proper application of it though.
Mike

I think I'm going to have to read that a couple more times before I understand it..

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm going to have to read that a couple more times before I understand it..
Definitely not something I am ready to attempt on a motor I care about. Would hate to have a saw blow up on me.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered a couple of them chips to see how they do.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appears to me the whole points/coil plate is slotted and it's set toward the retarded side, so there would be room for advancement.
Slotted/rotating points plate or distributor is pretty typical on many if not most points setups.
Changing the flywheel to coil timing doesn't change the ignition timing in this case, only the place where the points open does that. Which is why changing the points gap does change ign timing.
The coil does need to rotate along with the points to keep the energy pulse from the coil in time with the points opening, too far off and you get weak/no spark unless running a cdi or similar.
The points open by a cam lobe on the crank, so moving the flywheel in relation to the crank in this particular instance is a bad idea...

<Edit> Looking at the picture again I'm not so sure those slotted holes will rotate the whole setup, could be just for setting up the coil... One way to find out...

Last edited:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appears to me the whole points/coil plate is slotted and it's set toward the retarded side, so there would be room for advancement.
Slotted/rotating points plate or distributor is pretty typical on many if not most points setups.
Changing the flywheel to coil timing doesn't change the ignition timing in this case, only the place where the points open does that. Which is why changing the points gap does change ign timing.
The coil does need to rotate along with the points to keep the energy pulse from the coil in time with the points opening, too far off and you get weak/no spark unless running a cdi or similar.
The points open by a cam lobe on the crank, so moving the flywheel in relation to the crank in this particular instance is a bad idea...

<Edit> Looking at the picture again I'm not so sure those slotted holes will rotate the whole setup, could be just for setting up the coil... One way to find out...
It looks like it will all rotate together, I'll play around with it and see what it likes thanks.

thumbnail_KIMG1632.jpg