How do i sharpen a hedge cutter ?

junkman

Crush it
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok i have this old stihl hs80 to cut brush and hedges with ,it has never been sharpened since new ,how do i do this ? A raker flat file ? Is there a way to do this with my usg chain grinder ?
Is kind of a handy tool ,the handle rotates also .hedge trimmer no spill gas can 027.jpg hedge trimmer no spill gas can 028.jpg hedge trimmer no spill gas can 029.jpg

junkman

Crush it
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These bolt to stihl chain saws
$_1.JPG

I like the hs80 ,has the same engine as my string trimmer fs-80

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think stihl sell a attachment for their grinder that is for hedge blades but it may not be feasible just to sharpen one hedge trimmer unless you have HAD as well as CAD. You can do it a number of ways....one is to do them while the blades are still attached to power head, the other (the way I do it) is to remove and separate top from bottom blades and sharpen them individually. A die grinder with a flat round scotch brite 3M style pad is one way but that's no the best if you need to remove a lot of metal and probably better as a maintenance sharpen. If you have cut some wire and really need to take them back a stone, grinder wheel or file is the way to go. You can use a raker file, its good for removing metal stock but leaves a streaky rough finish. I have tried most ways and use a die grinder and small round grinding stone wheel (same shape as a car tyre but way smaller) and disassemble blades first by removing them and unscrewing bolts. Get unit in sturdy position upside down on bench and remove base plate, gasket and go from their. Just take a good look at things so you can put it back together in correct order. When finished smother gears with lithium grease and be careful not to let any of the needles in the main bearing come out and get lost amongst the gears. Don't be scared the junkman would be more than qualified to do this easy peasy, just take ya time, if ya get stuck somewhere I can help from the bottom of the earth.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok i have this old stihl hs80 to cut brush and hedges with ,it has never been sharpened since new ,how do i do this ? A raker flat file ? Is there a way to do this with my usg chain grinder ?
Is kind of a handy tool ,the handle rotates also .View attachment 19449 View attachment 19450 View attachment 19451
Take it apart and just follow the angles with an air angle tool with 2 inch sanding disc. Then hit the back of the whole blade on a bench sander .

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^Yes this is good to remove the burrs, they will remove themselves in use but I knock them off with a scotch pad. Also give the blades a good clean while they are apart, sap build up is bad for smooth operation. The unit you have has top notch quality blades btw.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a normal grinding disk and my small angle grinder.
Works perfectly fine as these blades/cutters just move against each other and don't have to be precise at all!

I do take the two blades apart and off the power head, makes it much easier to sharpen free hand.
I use a fine flat file to check for and remove any burrs.

I have an electric hedge cutter, but the cutting principle is the same.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl Dealers can sharpen these with their USG grinders (same as chainsaw chains). Read the USG manual and it will give setup directions on how to do them in a USG.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes but most dealers should have the assembly. If you are an occasional user I would just pay the $10-$20 to get it sharpened and move on with life.

In typical fashion, I asked my two local dealers about "sharpening" a hedge trimmer.....

Drum roll please....

They said it can't be done. Gotta buy new ones....it's not easy to hide laughter sometimes.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In typical fashion, I asked my two local dealers about "sharpening" a hedge trimmer.....

Drum roll please....

They said it can't be done. Gotta buy new ones....it's not easy to hide laughter sometimes.
That's a good laugh indeed! I would have told them to pull their heads out and buy the attachment for their USG. The only problem is they would reply "what's a USG?"

I remember watching a youtube a long time ago where a guy made a jig and used an angle grinder then a stone hone on the two mating surfaces. I'll see if I can find it...

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
holy crap,
I just looked at the SM for how to remove the "blades"....not so easy...requires a "press assembly tool"
any vids just to get TO the blade sharpening ?