High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not long after we moved down here we got 22 inches of snow in 24 hours. The Gaurd was dropping hay to cattle around here. I was having the time of my life at the farm. I like snow.:)

Holy crap that's alot of snow in a short amount of time! I like snow too. The way I figure it, if it's going to be cold, we might as well get the moisture to go along with it. Last winter, we got enough snow, that every time it was just about dried out from snow, we'd get more snow. That lasted for about 4 months. Funny, I never thought I'd ever hear farmers complain about moisture, but they sure were!

In 2000, when I was at my first Air Force technical school in lovely Wichita Falls, TX, it snowed roughly 5/8"... Those Texans and transplants lost their frenching minds... It was impossibly hilarious though. I'd never seen that many crashes occur that quickly, or violently due an absolute absence of knowledge/situational-awareness/skills. Luckily, I don't think anyone died, nor was seriously injured, but it was a bit like being a one-eyed man in a three ring circus. I did get to impress some local female talent by doing some highly controlled doughnuts in open parking lots and NOT wrecking in the first 15 seconds of operation...

I lived in Colorado for a few years and of all places you'd think people could drive in snow, it would be Colorado, but so many of them are from California, or Texas, that it's a mess whenever it snows. People don't seem to understand, that just because you have 4 wheel drive, doesn't mean you won't slide around, if you drive like a knucklehead.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not long after we moved down here we got 22 inches of snow in 24 hours. The Gaurd was dropping hay to cattle around here. I was having the time of my life at the farm. I like snow.
:)
IIRC that was 81 or 2. St. Louis got 24 inches on the sidewalk in front of my house. Had a VW bug so went where I wanted. 7-11 guy was into 4th shift inna row cause nobody came in for their shift. An old jacked up power wagon rolled around. Frt wdrive vehicle had to back up the hill in reverse for traction. City gotnotin done in 3 days IIRC and many forget ice stays in the shadows20190114_092724.jpg

Jetmd

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Smithville, MO..Born in Iowa by the grace of God
Country flag
Matt,

Pick up a thermostat, housing and upper hose:

https://www.dieselsite.com/203thermostat.aspx

If you haven't already make sure to purchase the dual alternator hose as this allows you to R/R the serpentine belt
without having to remove the upper radiator hose.

JMHO

Chet

P.S. the 203* makes a world of difference in that motor.

Last edited:

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IIRC that was 81 or 2. St. Louis got 24 inches on the sidewalk in front of my house. Had a VW bug so went where I wanted. 7-11 guy was into 4th shift inna row cause nobody came in for their shift. An old jacked up power wagon rolled around. Frt wdrive vehicle had to back up the hill in reverse for traction. City gotnotin done in 3 days IIRC and many forget ice stays in the shadowsView attachment 213273
You have a very good memory.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20191214_152027.jpg
Got a good helper this year. Took him out for his first time snagging on saturday. I"ll take him out again because I want him to catch something bigger. Wanting to see the look on his face when he hits something above 50lbs.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Did you miss the tornados down south?

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Matt,

Pick up a thermostat, housing and upper hose:

https://www.dieselsite.com/203thermostat.aspx

If you haven't already make sure to purchase the dual alternator hose as this allows you to R/R the serpentine belt
without having to remove the upper radiator hose.

JMHO

Chet

P.S. the 203* makes a world of difference in that motor.
Looks like we’ll need 2!!

Although 203 seems high for those.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 213332
Got a good helper this year. Took him out for his first time snagging on saturday. I"ll take him out again because I want him to catch something bigger. Wanting to see the look on his face when he hits something above 50lbs.

When I was a kid, I remember my Grandfather going fishing and bringing those home every now and then. They were taller than me and I thought they were the biggest fish in the world.

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like we’ll need 2!!

Although 203 seems high for those.
203 would be the "All the way open" temperature, wouldn't it?

I know the 1st gen Cummins had a lot of issues with aftermarket thermostats.
OEM only for me, and never had a problem with getting it to warm up.

Jetmd

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Smithville, MO..Born in Iowa by the grace of God
Country flag
The original Navistar engineers designed the 444 to run optimal at the higher temp.

Ford is the one that replaced the thermostat with a colder unit in '96 if I remember correctly.

Diesel combustion is more efficient in the 200-210* range.

I ran the 203 for many years with no issues.

I am not an engineer, but I do know first hand this works.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've sold several different brands of thermostats through the years and it's been my observation that they typically have an effective life span of 2 years. Some shorter, some longer. Of the aftermarket brands I think Stant makes the best one but I'll usually go to the dealership to get an original replacement. Most gas engines nowadays use either 195 or 205 degree thermostat. But on older engines (20 years or more typically) I prefer a 180 degree. Keep in mind, too, that electronic fuel injection depends on certain ranges to operate correctly. Too cold a thermostat can cause the engine to run rich, decreasing mileage. The Computor thinks the engine isn't warmed up enough.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed. Thermostats don't last forever.
What’s the fun in that?

I just been putting a feed bag between the brush guard and radiator.. lol

I do like Chet’s Idea of the “if ya gonna replace it, go with something better”. There are some real good aftermarket bells and whistles available for the 7.3’s.

Not sure if there are and aftermarket ball joints that are better than Ford OEM though. Surely someone has made a better mousetrap by now.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the fun in that?

I just been putting a feed bag between the brush guard and radiator.. lol

I do like Chet’s Idea of the “if ya gonna replace it, go with something better”. There are some real good aftermarket bells and whistles available for the 7.3’s.

Not sure if there are and aftermarket ball joints that are better than Ford OEM though. Surely someone has made a better mousetrap by now.
Interestingly though. Keep in mind somebody else usually makes the parts for the factory. Especially automotive. I put all new ball joints in the wife's F150 a couple of years back. Mainly because I got my son's price on them. Pulled them out of the "Motorcraft" box and they had "TRW" as part of the casting. TRW makes a lot of aftermarket parts, including OE supplier, and a lot of private label parts.
I used to work for Western Auto for a number of years and their front end parts were Jamco at the time. Pull it out of the box and had TRW on it.
As far as front end parts the best you can buy are Moog and they do the same thing. Manufacture parts for private label.
Tire companies do it too. I think the only tire company that doesn't is Michelin, but they own BF Goodrich and Uniroyal.