Hotter spark plug for 064

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I knew he'd be back. One of the locals had his 70th birthday and he asked me to fix his saw, an 064. I hate working on other people's equipment as they keep coming back. However, it was a birthday gift to him.

Anyway, he decided he also wanted a de-comp on the 064, so I got a 92cc jug with the de-comp hole and then had to tune up a de-comp to go in it. The saw starts and runs great - so, what is the problem?

He's a numbskull that is using a 92cc saw with a 24" bar to cut up small limbs for firewood. The saw never gets up to temperature and the stock plug is way too cold for what he's using the saw for. It is a big saw for big wood, he really needs a 40cc saw...

The center electrode of the plug is jet black and the plug eventually fouls out. I figure for what he's doing he needs a plug that is two ranges hotter. The stock plug is a Bosch. Anybody have any ideas about what kind of plug I can convince him to start using?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I knew he'd be back. One of the locals had his 70th birthday and he asked me to fix his saw, an 064. I hate working on other people's equipment as they keep coming back. However, it was a birthday gift to him.

Anyway, he decided he also wanted a de-comp on the 064, so I got a 92cc jug with the de-comp hole and then had to tune up a de-comp to go in it. The saw starts and runs great - so, what is the problem?

He's a numbskull that is using a 92cc saw with a 24" bar to cut up small limbs for firewood. The saw never gets up to temperature and the stock plug is way too cold for what he's using the saw for. It is a big saw for big wood, he really needs a 40cc saw...

The center electrode of the plug is jet black and the plug eventually fouls out. I figure for what he's doing he needs a plug that is two ranges hotter. The stock plug is a Bosch. Anybody have any ideas about what kind of plug I can convince him to start using?
Be handy to know what mix he uses as well ?

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husquvarna FB oil at 33-1. I suppose with the light work he's putting on the saw he could drop it to 50-1, but he's still not getting the saw up to temperature.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Husquvarna FB oil at 33-1. I suppose with the light work he's putting on the saw he could drop it to 50-1, but he's still not getting the saw up to temperature.
I think that would be a help ...50:1 and a re tune.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

This would be 1 step hotter than the NGK BPMR7a used instead of the Bosch.

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 23.36.41.png

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm reluctant to lean out the carb. Like I said he's a numbskull and he just might find a really big log to give the saw a hard workout. - "I don't know, the saw just stopped"

The BPMR6A might work, but I don't know if the stock Bosch is a resistance core plug.

I might save myself some grief and send him off to the local dealer. They should have more information on the type of the plug and a good selection. Then if they decided to lean out the carb - they can deal with him if things don't work out. - He can go back to them!

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm reluctant to lean out the carb. Like I said he's a numbskull and he just might find a really big log to give the saw a hard workout. - "I don't know, the saw just stopped"

The BPMR6A might work, but I don't know if the stock Bosch is a resistance core plug.

I might save myself some grief and send him off to the local dealer. They should have more information on the type of the plug and a good selection. Then if they decided to lean out the carb - they can deal with him if things don't work out. - He can go back to them!

Not one to tell anyone what to do but you are correct in your assumption in my experience, best to send him and that saw to a shop or dealer. We never know what someone else is going to subject a saw to after it leaves the hand. As you have stated,the saw is not the right saw for his main purpose and he likely does not know how to tune it for the differing applications so its best left safe mix wise and tune wise.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep send him to a dealer ........ they will tell him the saw has a problem that will cost a bomb to fix and trade it plus a heap of cash for a ms251 or some other crap home owner saw

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep send him to a dealer ........ they will tell him the saw has a problem that will cost a bomb to fix and trade it plus a heap of cash for a ms251 or some other crap home owner saw

LOL! He's already been down that road. The local fire brigade had a working 288 on the truck. This bloke went to the local dealer to get the chain sharpened and walked out with a 357.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’d be a lot safer tuning the saw properly than putting a hotter plug in.
Nothing wrong with cutting small wood with a big saw either. Does he realize that you should hold it wot even in small wood? Half trigger all the time isn’t what they are meant for.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All he would need is a 50cc saw, run it WOT and cut small stuff, it will run clean and no where near as heavy. My 064 wouldn`t be happy cutting small wood and neither would be my back, arms or shoulders.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I know that a 50cc saw would do all the cutting he wants to do, but he has a fixation on having a big STIHL saw. Kinda like the blokes that want to go roo shooting and thinking they need to have a .458.

I tuned the saw in big wood with the bar buried. It runs just fine for that kind of work.

A hotter plug is only a problem when it allows pre-ignition - acting like a glow-plug. The saw could easily take one range hotter, but I'm confident he could use two ranges hotter.

If he goes just one range hotter, a plug check after running it for a while would give a good indication if he could go to an even hotter plug.

I'm going to recommend he drops to 50-1 and take it to a dealer for a hotter plug. I'll also mention that THEY could lean it out a tad. If he sticks the saw, they can deal with him.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sounds bout rite. Way my local stihl dealer would do him.