Help

Mr Carrasco

OPE Member
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I'm about at a lost as a young boy can be. I tested the coils both of them the old one is 2.6 ohms the new is 2.7 ohms from the boot to ground, spec say's 2-12. I though it might be the flywheel and ordered a know good flywheel. Still no spark. I've checked the wires to the switch both clean no cracks or cuts. Does anyone know if the case has a ground I'm missing? I did say it was fun, but real close to making some kind of lawn ornament out of it.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take the ground wires off the coil. If still no spark, bad coil.

Mr Carrasco

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried it still no spark I have 2 of them one new. I'll send it back and get another one I guess.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Foe whatever reason, I've had problems with coils on 271's also. The last one I worked on, the first 2 oem coils were bad.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might sound odd but I have an Echo weed wacker that loses magnetism on one flywheel magnet .I recharge it using a rare earth magnet and it holds the entire season it's used but come spring the SOB won't start again .
When I was but a boy my dad's garden tractor would do the same thing .He belted it up to another small engine and rolled it over at about 3,000 RPM .after a while sure enough it would start .Magnet strength,air gap,speed of rotation -putt-putt-putt .BTW that old walk behind Husky lives in my shop these days and is as old as myself . Hasn't been started in about 40 years but I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut it will run .You can't kill a Briggs engine unless you run it out of oil .

Mr Carrasco

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Foe whatever reason, I've had problems with coils on 271's also. The last one I worked on, the first 2 oem coils were bad.
Wow, that is something 2 bad OEM coils. I have one coming tomorrow we will see if that takes care of the problem