Heat soak

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to reinvent the wheel is not the answer here when the wheel is fine it's the horse pulling the cart has fallen over dead in summer heat lol
I'll just keep doing what works for me for now that's having a can of Avgas at the ready in summer so when a saw vaper locks it's only a matter of dumping the pump fuel out refill with heat tolerant fuel and continue cutting.

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, it’s that time of year again, almost to the date.

Cutting pistachio yesterday. 395xp was excellent in the heat, 350 with a 346 top end was tough to keep running and hard to restart. Completely out of character. My 395 accelerates like a 346, so I can’t be too upset.

Dead pistachio is 95% limbing cuts and two tough stump cuts, though.

I should probably build a small saw that can handle the heat better.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
1:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vapor lock and South Carolina heat , a match made in hell.
It's even worse with the old mag saws ,I've boiled gas in old Homelite and McCulloch saws.
The cleanliness of the saw is also very important for avoiding heat soak ,if you've got saw cake packed into all the crevasses of the saw it will insulate that heat in .
I try to keep in mind that the fellow who decided that lead was killing everyone and needed to be eradicated from society was also the head of the "Manhattan project " . I think I will live a mostly normal life span with lead (like the entire baby boomer generation) but nuclear fallout might shorten my life time?