Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square or hexa would be the only way to restore the factory sloped straight side plate.

Don't underestimate round filed, done correctly for the output of the saw ... o baby.

Steve, it would he an honor to run one of them 365s, @Stump Shot
Buy your plane ticket early then...

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone else tried this? I'm trying to work if the results I got are a one off or if it's common for it to work better round than the original shape

I have a couple of hexa chains and filed one round so I can see what happens with that next week.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
6:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone else tried this? I'm trying to work if the results I got are a one off or if it's common for it to work better round than the original shape

I have a couple of hexa chains and filed one round so I can see what happens with that next week.
I'll give it a whirl one of these days. I have OZ wood and murica wood. Xcut and Duke's which is basically a copy.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like fast square with the gullet cleaned out.
Yeah, I'm trying not to recreate the way too thin top plate I did earlier this year on some lgx.
The little fuzzy bit of side plate at the top is where the tiny C of the goofy lands.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Yeah, I'm trying not to recreate the way too thin top plate I did earlier this year on some lgx.
The little fuzzy bit of side plate at the top is where the tiny C of the goofy lands.
Very nice tooth. I reckon that should hold up in clean wood. I’d probably ruin it right quick in a yard tree though.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice tooth. I reckon that should hold up in clean wood. I’d probably ruin it right quick in a yard tree though.
That's how I find old fence rows! 1st step , sharpen chain exactly how I want. Step 2 metal detect.
Repeat.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
6:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you guys see much difference between them filed round or new? I'm getting much better results in our hard wood after filing it round.

It's on a little saw so maybe throwing more power at it makes a bigger difference but it felt the same on the 7900 for me. This is just sharpened by an idiot with a 5.5mm (7/32) round file while the saw was in a stump vice. 30 degrees, 10 down. It's nothing special.

I'll attach some pics of the new chain I used, it's not damaged and didn't hit anything, it just cuts better in dry hard wood round than new.View attachment 416228View attachment 416229View attachment 416230
...maybe just lower rakers? Xcut out of the box didn't seem to have much bite/pull.

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...maybe just lower rakers? Xcut out of the box didn't seem to have much bite/pull.
I got another new c85 chain so I'll check when I get a chance. I'm surprised I can find so much info about copying the new shape but nothing on if it actually works better. I suspect it's the narrower kerf that makes this stuff good, not the shape.

I made 3 cuts with it when new and sharpened and I'll link the video. It doesn't show times and you have to deal with me kicking some wood around. New first 3 and then round filed after.

The little dcs460 is usually good for this stuff because the lack of power highlights any change but I have a 16" d009 bar so I'll try again with the 7900 or 288

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Steve you would think if a fella was going to
speak from such a place of knowledgeable authority on a chain they would want some more experience. Calling something race chain without having actual experience with race chain seems pretty naive. At a recent gtg Stihl rspro was beating up on some square ground chain a little bit. Maybe we should start calling that factory race chain now too. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's a sizable portion of the internet.

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a sizable portion of the internet.
It definitely sums up the majority of chainsaw related videos I have ever seen. They speak like an absolute authority on a subject but 20 seconds in, it's clear they have NFI what they are talking about.