Hand-Filing Husqvarna X-Cut Chain

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Innocently speaking/typing (Not a typo) I was reading the first 2 or 3 pages and trying to analyze the content. I hand file but curiosity has its' way with me. I don't know who tossed or when the cat got tossed into the dog fight but I did check that I wasn't over on the AS site.
Now I need to go back and reread and unlearn what I don't know yet. I was thinking there was a lot of productive concepts to ponder upon.
Me "MONGO" just 'a confused' Pawn in Life (Blazing Saddles).

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The attachment is a PDF detailing the process used in finding how to get "close" to the factory profile by round-filing. In summary, and for C83K chain (which is 3/8" pitch, 0.050" gauge):
- To hand file the top plate, use a 5/32" (4.0mm) file at 25° swing and 5° tilt, pull up slightly.
- To hand file the lower part of the side cutter, file at 30° swing and 10° tilt, push down slightly. File the lower part of the side cutter to be in-line with the top part of the side cutter.
- Set the depth gauges to 0.018”.

The PDF has pictures and an explanation of each step because there's room for improvement (like putting the depth micrometer against an angle plate, which I didn't have at the time, which would result in more accurate readings). Hopefully sharing "how" and "why" helps others to understand what was done and share improvements/corrections.

In my opinion round files are more common, easier to use, and more affordable than square files, and they can help get "reasonably close" to the original profile. From my testing "close" is slightly slower than factory, and I'm guessing Husqvarna uses a flat faced cutter on the top plate for good reason. I *think* with some reasonable changes round filing could match the speed of OEM, and that's what I'm working toward, but please beat me to it.

I'll PM you and maybe we can find a way for you to get the information in the PDF.
Thanks and replied.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m the one volunteered you for the job
Because you have experience and more of a people person than most here

I’m just surprised that Brad says you don’t know anything about saw work and sharp chains
He’s a new guy that’s only been to one or two gtgs and now he’s a pro at race chain

I have yet to see chain sharpened by Brad
And that’s ok I don’t need to
I just feel he’s overstepping right now
I always thought a person can learn more with their ears open and their mouth closed. Except in your case, it tells you which truck stop you can earn the best 💰 at. Lol
Now dammit, that's funny I don't care who you are, except maybe for you so much. 🤷‍♀️ Oh well, they say you can't win 'em all either! :drums:

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always thought a person can learn more with their ears open and their mouth closed. Except in your case, it tells you which truck stop you can earn the best 💰 at. Lol
Now dammit, that's funny I don't care who you are, except maybe for you so much. 🤷‍♀️ Oh well, they say you can't win 'em all either! :drums:
you really think i care much about anything lol

remember you said 10 bucks is 10 bucks but i think you just like the taste lol

hows you slacker

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
you really think i care much about anything lol

remember you said 10 bucks is 10 bucks but i think you just like the taste lol

hows you slacker
Hahaha! Dall’s sour cream: “it tastes like jizz cause it izz!”

You better trademark that slogan before someone else does.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that is what I am talking about!
Has all the signatures of the Vallorbe double bevel.
That very minor side-beak, that will bite like nobody's business!
I stay away from doing anything to them rivets as well.

I have to get my ducks in order, until I have a fun/play GTG 365, I am not able to attend the WI GTG at @Stump Shot.
Maybe I can sneak in through the bushes and some cammo while everyone is busy arguing here.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that is what I am talking about!
Has all the signatures of the Vallorbe double bevel.
That very minor side-beak, that will bite like nobody's business!
I stay away from doing anything to them rivets as well.

I have to get my ducks in order, until I have a fun/play GTG 365, I am not able to attend the WI GTG at @Stump Shot.
Maybe I can sneak in through the bushes and some cammo while everyone is busy arguing here.
I have one you can borrow...

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow well I hope you had fun getting that all off your chest. As far as I know we have never met. You have no idea what kind of guy I am. I am the guy who begrudgingly agreed to do this mod thing because I saw that a friend was suffering and could use the help. I’m the kind of guy who is here voluntarily doing an often times thankless job. I’m the kind of guy who passes the hat around for donations at the gtg to help offset the hosts costs. I’m the kind of guy that just spent a bunch of time giving you the tools to fit in here better, and you threw it in my face.

When you sign back up with your new, new, new screen name pay close attention to the terms and rules before you hit that agree button. Use the feedback you’ve been given and be better.
Are you the kind of guy that would f-ck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around?

Asking for Gunnery Sgt. Hartman

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you the kind of guy that would f-ck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around?

Asking for Gunnery Sgt. Hartman
@Woodpecker would give the reach around but probably be with gloves covered with pine tar