GM truck help.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has always pinged , since I got it at 100k I have never had a code come up, just stumbled at idle when cold and gas mileage gone now. The factory exhaust was damaged by former owner and I replaced with oem. It is puzzling to me that I never see any codes.
I misread your first post, I thought it threw a code! Most 6.0 I have seen get 16 hwy, have you checked the plugs to see if any are dirty? That might help to see any issues. Could have a dirty or leaky injector? Did you buy or change tire size? I would pull the plugs and see if any look dirty

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I misread your first post, I thought it threw a code! Most 6.0 I have seen get 16 hwy, have you checked the plugs to see if any are dirty? That might help to see any issues. Could have a dirty or leaky injector? Did you buy or change tire size? I would pull the plugs and see if any look dirty
I put new plugs and wires on it at 100k two years ago when I first bought it. I wonder if the injectors are going bad. The truck has 156k now.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I put new plugs and wires on it at 100k two years ago when I first bought it. I wonder if the injectors are going bad. The truck has 156k now.
Has always had 265-75-17 on it, I think stock was 245-75-17, but had new tires when I got it.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would pull the plugs to see if one cylinder is the culprit, or if it is clean or even then it could be a sensor or major system

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, 20mpg seems absurdly good mileage for that thing. Did you hand calculate or just go by what the 'puter displays? They are typically off the mark. Do a hand calc based on fuel used and mies driven when you fuel up. Come to think of it tho, hand calc wouldn't be accurate either because of the tire size difference.......unless the tire size was updated with a programmer.

Also wouldn't be the first time I heard of a used vehicle missing the check engine light bulb. Have Autozone scan it for ya and see if any codes pop.