foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
7:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool build.

It seems to make you happy, that's all that matters.

They are excellent jugs for the cost.

I did say in a previous post that I ordered two and used the better of the two. That means there is noticeable variation between jugs.

It was a cheap entry into the hybrid game with the opportunity to incrementally whittle on the jug and see how it responds. I haven't pulled my degree wheel off the nail it lives on for awhile.

Now that I have done a cheap one with good results, I wouldn't hesitate to do one with an OEM jug. Or maybe swap in an OEM jug down the road.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank those who took the time to post the hybrid build threads that I read in the past mostly on AS before this forum was up and running. I was working from memory of those threads with mostly good results.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once you put a degree wheel on that Saw, and do some playing, it will come alive.

I've never timed the 460 door buster jug. I do remember variations in the way the plating hit the squish band. At least in the 3 or 4 I've held, the transfers all looked damn good and the chamber/bands were mostly unplated.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a shame those 460 Door Buster jugs are not still available. While some looked better than others, they were a smoking good deal and had real nice ports.

I timed one on a MS460 with a Meteor Piston (before mods) w/o base gasket and got: Sq .025, Ex 103, Tr 124, In 72, - So, not bad at all. I currently have 2 running saws with them, the 460 and a Hybrid with a OEM piston. These jugs only need a minimum of mods to use on a hybrid. Slot the holes, thin the base, and a very slight mod to the fin in the left rear to clear the spark plug bulge in the top cover.

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I would update this thread with photos since the hybrid has a good amount of run time on it.

The saw has probably 10-20 tanks through it at this point. Pulled it down.

Meteor piston.

LAi8waSzR9Sa%mTM62PgmQ.jpg

Jug

d+g89tyJRcKpegSkCRa92g.jpg

Note the chip of plating out on the lower edge of the transfer. That seems to be the only worrisome thing I noticed.

I will say that wear in the form of burnishing of the jug is way more uneven than on an OEM jug. But the saw has been running well.

FEbcEd26SlCC35npSO+trg.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since we are updating:

Both the saws I discussed above went to homeowner/firewood cutters. I still get feedback on both, and they are both running and the owners are happy with them. So, for $20 jugs, the deal was very hard to beat.

IMO, when dealing with stuff like this, it is important to inspect the plating and the beveling of all the ports, and pair it with a quality piston/rings.

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since we are updating:

Both the saws I discussed above went to homeowner/firewood cutters. I still get feedback on both, and they are both running and the owners are happy with them. So, for $20 jugs, the deal was very hard to beat.

IMO, when dealing with stuff like this, it is important to inspect the plating and the beveling of all the ports, and pair it with a quality piston/rings.

I would just mention that I bought 2 $20 kits and installed the better looking of the two. And as stated above it has a meteor piston.

Even though a piece of plating chipped out; the rest looks stable, but then again I didn't notice anything before I installed the jug the first time.