Fuel Mixes for 2 strokes?

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I guess so. Jets were way too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
32:1 or 40:1 with a FD rated oil and non ethanol gas that's at least 89 octane.

Comprodigy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve researched this and there are strong opinions on brand and amount... a general consensus is that using a little more than the manual says to use is a good idea.
On a side note 1/2 cup is 4 ounces, which I believe is the amount to use for 40:1.

As to the type of fuel to use, ethanol free is the “preferred” fuel. Ethanol will absorb water from the humidity in the air, and water in your gas is never a good thing. However some areas done have ethanol free fuel... so your best bet then is to buy the highest octane fuel you can get, and in smaller batches so it’s not sitting as long before it’s used up.

One thing I have wondered, since aviation fuel is ethanol free, what harm would it cause to use it in a 2 stroke engine? It is 100 octane... I’ve not been able to get a straight answer on that one yet! Maybe it’ll finally be answered here.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Normally mix either 100ll AV gas or 91 octane at somewhere between 32:1 and 40:1. Have yet to have a problem. Every oil is wonderful and the worst junk out there, depending on who you ask. Do NOT use marine oil though as being designed for liquid cooled 2-strokes, it's a different formulation and tends to make s-word gooey inside an air cooled appliance.

I like syn oil, but dino is just fine too. In all reality good quality fuel is probably more important as long as at least 1 part of oil is mixed to 50 or less parts of said fuel.

The other nice benefit of 100ll, is, if stored correctly, it lasts a VERY long time. Smells good too during combustion.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve researched this and there are strong opinions on brand and amount... a general consensus is that using a little more than the manual says to use is a good idea.
On a side note 1/2 cup is 4 ounces, which I believe is the amount to use for 40:1.

As to the type of fuel to use, ethanol free is the “preferred” fuel. Ethanol will absorb water from the humidity in the air, and water in your gas is never a good thing. However some areas done have ethanol free fuel... so your best bet then is to buy the highest octane fuel you can get, and in smaller batches so it’s not sitting as long before it’s used up.

One thing I have wondered, since aviation fuel is ethanol free, what harm would it cause to use it in a 2 stroke engine? It is 100 octane... I’ve not been able to get a straight answer on that one yet! Maybe it’ll finally be answered here.

I use 102 for storage reasons. It will not cause problems.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Normally mix either 100ll AV gas or 91 octane at somewhere between 32:1 and 40:1. Have yet to have a problem. Every oil is wonderful and the worst junk out there, depending on who you ask. Do NOT use marine oil though as being designed for liquid cooled 2-strokes, it's a different formulation and tends to make s-word gooey inside an air cooled appliance.

I like syn oil, but dino is just fine too. In all reality good quality fuel is probably more important as long as at least 1 part of oil is mixed to 50 or less parts of said fuel.

The other nice benefit of 100ll, is, if stored correctly, it lasts a VERY long time. Smells good too during combustion.
Nothing wrong with runnin LL just be careful in its handling. Lead is a known bad thing when in contact with skin. Just sayin

Steve Wright

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agreed on this being discussed on any number of websites hundreds of thousands of times! Everybody has their own preferences, mine is premium gas, Sabre 70:1, Quickshot at the recommended dosage, and fuel stabilizer at the recommended dosage. For bar lube I mix 1 part bar and chain oil to 4 parts canola oil off the grocery shelf. All Amsoil products. I have run my saws for the last 10 years on this formula without any issues.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed on this being discussed on any number of websites hundreds of thousands of times! Everybody has their own preferences, mine is premium gas, Sabre 70:1, Quickshot at the recommended dosage, and fuel stabilizer at the recommended dosage. For bar lube I mix 1 part bar and chain oil to 4 parts canola oil off the grocery shelf. All Amsoil products. I have run my saws for the last 10 years on this formula without any issues.
How well does the canola oil mix with the petroleum oil? Does it still want to sieze up/gum up when exposed to air after longer periods?

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with runnin LL just be careful in its handling. Lead is a known bad thing when in contact with skin. Just sayin
What are your thoughts on breathing the exhaust when using LL aviation ⛽️? I know we aren’t down there snorting the muffler or anything but we must be breathing in a bit of the exhaust I would think.:shocked:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on breathing the exhaust when using LL aviation ⛽️? I know we aren’t down there snorting the muffler or anything but we must be breathing in a bit of the exhaust I would think.:shocked:

really don't have any thoughts either way as many who work in aviation breath exhaust often, but its generally not behind your head like a BP Blower or such. For my use , which is NOT all day every day, id be OK. For professional use I might give some thoughts to its prolonged exposure. certainly the best thing around for long term storage...Ive seen planes sit with fuel for 10 years and fire up like nothing.

Last edited:

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
really don't have any thoughts either way as many who work in aviation breath exhaust often, but its generally not behind your head like a BP Blower or such. for my use , which is NOT all day every day, id be OK. For professional use I might give some thoughts to its prolonged exposure. certainly the best thing around for long term storage...Ive seen planes sit with fuel for 10 years and fire up like nothing.
Thanks for you opinion on the subject. I know it’s definitely the best for long term storage.:smile:

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a question. I have 2 stroke power equipment, that requires mixes ranging from 16-1 to 50-1. I inquired at the local mower shop, about why the newer equipment is now 50-1 mix. They surmised, that the modern oils are better now, and do not require as rich as of a mix, and suggested I could use 32-1 mix as a compromise if I wished. Are the oils that much better now, that you can ignore the 16-1 ratios, and go with one mix of 50-1 for all?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a question. I have 2 stroke power equipment, that requires mixes ranging from 16-1 to 50-1. I inquired at the local mower shop, about why the newer equipment is now 50-1 mix. They surmised, that the modern oils are better now, and do not require as rich as of a mix, and suggested I could use 32-1 mix as a compromise if I wished. Are the oils that much better now, that you can ignore the 16-1 ratios, and go with one mix of 50-1 for all?
Personally
I have saws from the 70s 80s 90s 2000s
Brushcutters from the 90s 25/1
I run everything 40/1 never had a failure.
To each his own
These modern oils are great.
Except stihl oils i hate stihl oils.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

16:1 ratio is for using 30wt engine oil.

Like others have said, any high quality JASO-FD rated oil will be just fine across the oil ratio spectrum at 40:1. Stihl oil is very ashy/dirty and smells bad to me.