Turd Furgeson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I have a ton of project saws in the pipeline to feed my CAD. I've stocked up on echo fuel line to start going through the saws that need it. Now I'm wondering what fuel filters I should use. The Chainsaw Guy on youtube said he never had good luck with aftermarket filters but I've noticed he's partial to anything he sells which would be OEM. I found Carb Tech Solutions on this forum as a source for carb kits, are their filters any good? What about Stens? eBay bulk lots from China?

Or, should I just stick to OEM?

Thanks,

TF

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried carbtec and worked well until they didn't. Now I only use oem and will only use oem filters.

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would the newer orange filter from Stihl be an option? They are like 10 million micron or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Turd Furgeson

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would the newer orange filter from Stihl be an option? They are like 10 million micron or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10 million micron would be about 394". ;-)

I know what you mean. Yes, I think I could make those work. Filtration is a funny thing, I think it has diminishing returns and the finer you go, you can filter to the point where all you're doing is replacing filters more often with no benefit.

I did a bit more research and ordered the walbro filters mentiond above and some NOS rotarty(made in usa) pieces to have an assortment for winter projects. I might order up some stihl filters for my runners that I use for most of my cutting. But for the fun saws that I run a few times a year, I don't know if I need the ultra filtration, I just want something good enough that I'm not pulling carbs apart all the time to clean the screens.

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can someone put a picture of an OEM Husqvarna filter.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No matter the maker give them the old suck test before installation. Will save some aggravation when a defective one comes through the pike.
Every type filter will fail some way shape or form at some point. I just put in what the saw came with and don't worry too much about it.
I will say as far as servicing the saw goes, Husqvarna filters are the easiest at telling when to change just by looking at them, before they plug up. When you see them turning dark/brown where they draw from, it's time to change.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny thing about filters .They are really the first line of defense and the screen in the carb is the last .The old saws I fiddle with a lot of times the old lines have dissolved leaving a bunch of blacks gobs of gook inside the fuel tanks you often do not see at first .This stuff can pass the filter then clog the screen .
That saw in my avatar was one that gave me fits .I had to pressure wash the tank to get it all rinsed out then spent forever on the internet to find an OEM fuel line for it .I lost track of how many times I had that large bore Tillotson model HL carb off that thing before I finally got it . That saw has a weighted type filter used on McCulloch .

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive used Oregon filters for a while now and no complaints. Just out of curiosity does ethanol effect filters negatively? Say a filter ran on nonethanol have a better success rate than ran on ethanol. Ive seen what look like clean filters just not be able to supply.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
16063465713576525379168789177252.jpg
I get these on Amazon aka China , I haven't had any problems with them for the past few years.
They are probably made by 10yr old kids out of clubbed baby seals.