Found a bunch of stihl saws on the street

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Landed on a gold mine. All need work, 201 runs. Also brought a 066 non runner from the stihl dealer than actually does indeed run just needs new p&c as it’s scored which be sold me a good used one for cheap. The cylinder on there will get cleaned up and go on the 660 that’s missing one.

IMG_2199.jpegIMG_2217.jpegIMG_2260.jpegIMG_2223.jpeg

Last edited:

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha I was going to as a toy for the dog, but it was full of polystyrene beans. That’s a disaster waiting to happen, both the mess and the mrs wrath!

Yeah :) will do p&v test, though it will likely be a shelf queen so I’ll probably do as little possible to have it air tight and sound, sort the scoring and call it good. The 660 will be the one I’ll not care about and enjoy using and again do the minimum to get it running. The connecting rod big / small end bearings are good on the 660, just the crankshaft bearings. So probably just seals and bearings, cylinder, p&v test and go rip with it!

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did the pressure and vac test, pressure held great at 7 psi, vac failed and would continue to drop to around 5ingh, wouldn’t come even close to the specified 15inhg. I think I can hear the wisp of air from the flywheel side, but both will be replaced. Fuel line is soft, impulse and intake manifold both soft too! IMG_2293.jpeg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice score and quality thread Tom. That cylinder is totally worth saving.
Thanks mate, much appreciated. I couldn’t quite believe it when driving past and then the further I dug the more saws I found lol. I’ll upload some pics after a once I’ve removed the transfer.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks mate, much appreciated. I couldn’t quite believe it when driving past and then the further I dug the more saws I found lol. I’ll upload some pics after a once I’ve removed the transfer.
How do you remove the transfer?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would have q-tipped a little 30% HCL (mutaric acid) on ages ago, but that’s me as I only have my finger as a dremmel

As much as some folks resist to use it, it can save a lot of time (my finger) and fizz abit if there is a little transfer still there or not.

Btw..Acid it’s my insurance to know if the transfer has gone or not.
I have to say That cylinder did clean up nicely, you did a great job 😉

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have acid too :) but no bicarbonate of soda to neutralise it lol in fact it’s right next to me haha. I really like using it on crankshafts to remove ally galling on plain bearing engines like the older Briggs

IMG_2556.jpeg

Nearly there. A few more specs to go before starting intake side.

IMG_2555.jpeg