First saw for my son

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys. My son's 10th birthday is coming up at the end of the month. I asked him what he wanted for his birthday....he tells me a chainsaw! Sure you don't want a bike or toys or???? No, Dad. I want a chainsaw so we can make firewood and noodles together.

He's run my Echo 490 it's a bit big for him just yet. Definitely want under 10 lbs...under 9 lbs even better.
Sooo...here's the possibilities I've looked at so far. Echo cs352 or cs310.....Makita dcs34.... Husqvarna 440....jonsered 2240(same as 440)....

Do any of these models have design issues to be avoided? Pros, cons? What would you buy and why? Feel free to recommend other models too. Hoping to keep it under $200. Thanks. Have a nice day.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn’t the Echo 352 and 310 the same saw? I’m pretty sure they are, and the 352 weighs the same as the 310 with a bit more grunt.
I had a 310 a while back, and it always started and ran just fine. I’d probably choose a 352 now, if I was buying either one. The price is good on them, and can’t beat the warranty.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 on the 352. Same weight as 310 with a few more cc. I have one and it really surprised me how well it cut. It does have a cat in the muffler that needs to come out. Runs a little better and a lot cooler with out it. It will be hard to find one for 200, but it's possible. I paid 235 for mine on eBay, NIB delivered.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixed up a Husqvarna 142 for my oldest son, he was ten at the time. It's worked out really well for him. Weight and power are right on for a kid that age/size.

If it were me I'd keep the saw price as low as possible and invest in chaps, helmet/face shield and maybe a decent pair of boots. The last thing you want to see is your kid messed up from running a saw. Then you get to explain it to the ER doctor etc.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixed up a Husqvarna 142 for my oldest son, he was ten at the time. It's worked out really well for him. Weight and power are right on for a kid that age/size.

If it were me I'd keep the saw price as low as possible and invest in chaps, helmet/face shield and maybe a decent pair of boots. The last thing you want to see is your kid messed up from running a saw. Then you get to explain it to the ER doctor etc.
I have the same exact saw that will be my sons when he’s ready. It ain’t a powerhouse, but he doesn’t need one either. Runs and cuts just fine.
I agree on the PPE. Teach them young, and they’ll stay safe.

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something with a very functional chain brake. My ten year old has an old Stihl 011aveqs. He can start it in his own and the controls are very deliberate.

I like the Husqvarna 136, 142 route, especially since you can get into a nice one for less than $100.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Good point and very true. Doctors can also report child injuries to social services.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the same exact saw that will be my sons when he’s ready. It ain’t a powerhouse, but he doesn’t need one either. Runs and cuts just fine.
I agree on the PPE. Teach them young, and they’ll stay safe.
Yup. 3/8 lp safety chain works great, isn't grabby. Perfect for learning.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good point and very true. Doctors can also report child injuries to social services.

Fortunately Alaska hasn't gone full communist yet. People, children and animals with cuts, scrapes, severed limbs and impaled with fishhooks isn't uncommon. Heck, the Alaska state troopers rarely get involved except for shootings.

Either way, I do want to keep my boy safe from unnecessary injuries. He will definitely be closely supervised while operating a saw. I'll have to try and find some PPE for children...or midgets might work too.

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fortunately Alaska hasn't gone full communist yet. People, children and animals with cuts, scrapes, severed limbs and impaled with fishhooks isn't uncommon. Heck, the Alaska state troopers rarely get involved except for shootings.

Either way, I do want to keep my boy safe from unnecessary injuries. He will definitely be closely supervised while operating a saw. I'll have to try and find some PPE for children...or midgets might work too.
My son wears 28"chaps. They Co we his feet which I don't have a problem with. The helmet/muffs/face shield is a Stihl setup and fits him well.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's easy, just get him what I learned on: ancient Homie Super 2 and no PPE whatsoever!:eek:

Seriously, gently used Echo CS-370 or 400 all the way. Weighs about the same as the others mentioned but has adjustable oiler, better anti-vibe, and stronger construction. They really wake up with a muff mod and careful tuning too, my 400 is my favorite saw to run. I use Oregon 91PXL chain, which is semi-chisel and stays sharp for quite awhile.