Estwing Fireside Friend splitting axe

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks, I'm needing a new splitting axe for smaller logs. Mostly stuff that is less than 10" diameter and around 8 inches long, it's more fun to noodle the big ones.:) I like the looks of the Estwing 4 pound Fireside Friend splitting axe, looks like you could use it one handed pretty easily. Anybody got one of these?

AO_fireside.jpg

AO_fireside.jpg[\IMG]

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one at home, one in the camper, and two at work. We use them for kindling splitting but I have split 8-10" diameter stuff 16-18" long if you swing it right. For short stuff, it works great. We cut a lot of dead eastern red cedar for kindling at work and it can be a little tough at times due to knots. My local Home Depot has a small Fiskars splitting hatchet I habe been eye balling.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm needing a new splitting axe for smaller logs. Mostly stuff that is less than 10" diameter and around 8 inches long, it's more fun to noodle the big ones.:) I like the looks of the Estwing 4 pound Fireside Friend splitting axe, looks like you could use it one handed pretty easily. Anybody got one of these?

AO_fireside.jpg

AO_fireside.jpg[\IMG]
I haven't seen this one before, looks pretty appealing.
I got my 15yr old son Will one of the long camping axes last Christmas, he already had the short stacked leather handled one. I liked the long handled one so much I got the limited edition black one for myself, that 4 pounder also appears to be available in the limited edition black, I will suggest to my wife the benefits of such a handy tool and see if that works...

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys, I ordered one from Ace Hardware. I'm going to have a pile of smaller logs here soon from cutting a dead tree that I've been eyeballing for several months.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the little axe today and gave it a try on some small logs 4-6' diameter. It works great, splits them quite easily. I would like to see a version with a handle around 20 inches or so. The weight and shape of the head are quite effective, a bit more leverage and this could be the perfect splitting axe. On the other hand, this little axe works great on the small logs that are hard to strike square with a longer axe.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've got one of the limited edition ones that's black with the stacked leather handle. Looks beautiful and I use it every single day at home for the stove. I wouldn't be without it now!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gave the Fireside Friend a try on the 14" Elm logs today once I had split them into quarters with my larger axe. It is no problem to then split these into halves and thirds with this little axe, easy as driving nails. My two year old was watching intently, I think it's going to be hers someday!