Echo top handle

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local farmers co-op is having a one day sale Saturday. We are needing a small saw at work for trimming limbs around our boundary signs on the lake. A pole saw gets cumbersome in a boat. I was looking at the Echo 303T or 355T possibly the small one. Has anyone had any luck with these saws? I can get 20% off so the 355T would be $280.
Thoughts?

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local farmers co-op is having a one day sale Saturday. We are needing a small saw at work for trimming limbs around our boundary signs on the lake. A pole saw gets cumbersome in a boat. I was looking at the Echo 303T or 355T possibly the small one. Has anyone had any luck with these saws? I can get 20% off so the 355T would be $280.
Thoughts?

CS-355-T FTW! I personally think they are the best top handle on the market currently.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CS-355-T FTW! I personally think they are the best top handle on the market currently.
That's what I wanted to hear. I don't use a small saw a lot, so I hate to spend a fortune on one. We can't buy used, so a used Stihl is out. For $280, it would suit our purposes.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thoughts?
Yes I lover the echo. I have used stihl echo and 2 different husky top handle saws. The new 355t echo is a bad ass 201t killer. In heavy cuts it holds great with the 200t, just don't have the rpm when ur last inch of wood. I have the echo 360t and wouldn't trade it for any other saw out there. 5 6 years later my saw is stihl a powerhouse. Hard wood soft wood it don't care. I did by the new 150t for trimming cause of the light weight while climbing but it won't do what my echo will. The list of parts I replaced on my saw is 3 echo bars now on my 2nd stihl 200t bar, and just recently replaced my brake band. Saw is used every bit of 200 plus days a year. Well worth the investment and very reliable

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thoughts?
1 good job and the saw will pay itself off. It's all profit after that.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
201T killer:risas3: until it falls apart. Good saws yes, durable for everyday use? No.

Your 360T is a well built saw, but the new ones run good but are built cheap.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This saw really won't be used a lot. Mostly on the boat posting boundary and on an ATV on fires. We keep big saws for snags on the UTV and dozer. A four wheeler just doesn't have a lot of space. I ran one this evening. The manager of the co op has one at hisfarm down the road. They run good, but do seem cheaply built (like most other Echos). I think for the price, I will pick it up. Thanks for the replies.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^I never seen one of them orange clutch covers since the days of the 015's. Is that how it came from factory? For the OP I'd consider the 271t echo if your cutting small diameter wood. The light weight of the 25cc class saws can be much appreciated sometimes....with a sharp chain they perform pretty good too. $280- for a 355t is a fine price!

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
^^^I never seen one of them orange clutch covers since the days of the 015's. Is that how it came from factory? For the OP I'd consider the 271t echo if your cutting small diameter wood. The light weight of the 25cc class saws can be much appreciated sometimes....with a sharp chain they perform pretty good too. $280- for a 355t is a fine price!

The 150t is all white to begin with. All my saws have plenty of orange on them except for a grey echo. But the 150t needed to look apart for the 2 we have at work so I dyed the 2 covers. Lost track of time so it had about 2 minutes too long in the dye. But I stihl like it.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I picked it up yesterday and will pay tomorrow. We used it today to trim around the trees we put signs on. This little thing runs good for a small saw. What was more impressive wasit would start on the first pull even if it had set for 20-30 minutes without filling with the high idle start. I won't say I am impressed since I don't have another top handle to compare to, but I will say I am satisfied with my purchase.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I picked it up yesterday and will pay tomorrow. We used it today to trim around the trees we put signs on. This little thing runs good for a small saw. What was more impressive wasit would start on the first pull even if it had set for 20-30 minutes without filling with the high idle start. I won't say I am impressed since I don't have another top handle to compare to, but I will say I am satisfied with my purchase.
The echo is slow to break in it will be about 10 tanks and then the true colors will come out

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you get the 355t? I love the way the little Jap saws start. I have 2 Makita 231t's (made by Yamabiko Japan) that are very similar to the 271t echo's and they will start cold by slowly pulling the starter to get 1 revolution. No 'pop' then switch off choke, they fire up and run from choke position. I can use Stihl 'light' bars too off my ms200/201/150 with a few extra drive links.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did you get the 355t? I love the way the little Jap saws start. I have 2 Makita 231t's (made by Yamabiko Japan) that are very similar to the 271t echo's and they will start cold by slowly pulling the starter to get 1 revolution. No 'pop' then switch off choke, they fire up and run from choke position. I can use Stihl 'light' bars too off my ms200/201/150 with a few extra drive links.
Yeah the stihl bars are heavier but made much better than the stock bar. It's all il run on my 360t workhorse

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I got the Echo 355T. Does anyone have any chain recommendations for these little saws? It has some sort of Oregon safety chain on it now. I know it is 0.050, 3/8 lopro.

It is much better than usimg the pole saw like we did the last time. My only concern now is one of my guys dropping it in the lake! I have a tether on it to keep from loosing it, but hopefully it doesn't happen! My dealer told me to bring it back after 10-12 tanks and he would retune it. I told him just to pull the limiters and I will take care of it. He didn't take that too well! I'm not going to mod this one until the warranty is up.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes I got the Echo 355T. Does anyone have any chain recommendations for these little saws? It has some sort of Oregon safety chain on it now. I know it is 0.050, 3/8 lopro.

It is much better than usimg the pole saw like we did the last time. My only concern now is one of my guys dropping it in the lake! I have a tether on it to keep from loosing it, but hopefully it doesn't happen! My dealer told me to bring it back after 10-12 tanks and he would retune it. I told him just to pull the limiters and I will take care of it. He didn't take that too well! I'm not going to mod this one until the warranty is up.
Keep us informed on your impressions and the performance of this saw I need a new top handle and this is a model I have seriously considered. Did you look at other models/brands before buying this one? Or did you know what you wanted from the get go?? As far as pulling the limiters, I would imagine that alone could have a negative effect on your warranty unless you have a"cool" dealer... Thanks,. Matt

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep us informed on your impressions and the performance of this saw I need a new top handle and this is a model I have seriously considered. Did you look at other models/brands before buying this one? Or did you know what you wanted from the get go?? As far as pulling the limiters, I would imagine that alone could have a negative effect on your warranty unless you have a"cool" dealer... Thanks,. Matt
I didn't really compare in hand. I looked here and other sites to get opinions. Price was a big factor considering I paid $280 out the door. We are tax exempt. For what we will be using it for, I didn't want to spend a ton of money. It won't be used daily, but will be used quite a bit in spurts. As far as the limiters, he asked me if I was willing to pay the fine from the EPA! I told him I would remove them when the warranty was up. He is my closest neighbor and let me borrow his saw in the rear handle version before I bought this one. Same motor, just uglier! I am satisfied with the power this little saw has. I know it isn't my Masterminded 461, but it serves it purpose well. It may actually lead me to trying other Echos.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I only use 2 brands of chain on my echo. Carlton and stihl brand. And of course they won't take a liking to any changes a person does to a saw. I told gerlachs that I don't want them piss revin my saw for them to test it. Also told them it won't won't be back for warranty cause I'm unplugging the saw and making it run to my liking. Shure glad I did cause echo is horrible about the saws running too lean for epa reason. Did the same with my new stihl too. BTW. If a tech isn't cutting wood to tune ur saw he isn't tuning your saw period they have a rev limiter that can sound good till it hits wood then falls on its face or runs like it's choking out. Been a wrench head my whole life and set in my ways

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

10 to 12 tanks could harm a engine if too lean. But if it still runs even if it's scored up then it's not a warranty issue cause it's not broke