High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Duel Fuel Generators

Tommcdow47

New OPE Member
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased a duel fuel Cummins/Onan portable generator and was wondering if were diagrams/webpages that show and explain the principle of duel fuel(propane/gasoline) engines and basic troubleshooting. Thanks

Tommcdow47

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Ray. I'm looking for a basic how duel fuel systems work. The old Briggs & Stratton small engine service manuals would include a description and simple diagrams to show a 2 or 4 cycle engine works. The Duel fuel systems have a switch that you switch between propane and gasoline, even when running. On the bottom of the carb there is solenoid which probably cuts the gasoline off when you throw the switch to propane. I cant figure out where the propane would enter the fuel system, maybe a jet on the intake manifold or a secondary jet in the carb? With me generators seem to follow Murphys law and don't start during blackouts and storms. Perhaps if I find a diagram of a combustion engine that runs on propane only I can combine the principals with the gasoline engine. I cannot find any repair manual for Cummins and Onan only owners manuals.

Tommcdow47

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Ray, I will download the manuals, there a valuable source. While online I found a youtube for converting a 4 cycle gasoline gen to a dual fuel and there's a
collar that mounts on the carb input side for propane, explains how it works and how to fine tune the propane regulator. I'm confidant now that I can isolate/troubleshoot no run conditions if they arise. I will download and read the manuals you provided in order to do the actual repairs if needed.

youtube video on using propane to run a small internal combustion engine. Thanks again Ray

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tiny spiders and moisture is the enemy most times.
This old 58' Hyster propane forklift never has issues. Dual gens do. Why, idk... heat maybe, this flathead never gets hot.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the time there is a vaporizer ahead of the carburetor for running on LP. If you have the full model number and serial number I may can get a PDF copy of the shop manual from Cummins.

Tommcdow47

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most of the time there is a vaporizer ahead of the carburetor for running on LP. If you have the full model number and serial number I may can get a PDF copy of the shop manual from Cummins.
Hi Joe, Thanks My information on my generator is Onan P9500DF, Part no. A058U967rev01, Serial # A058U9671119161000803. Yes there a canister mounted below the carb.