exCanuck

FartKnockerForum System Admin
GoldMember
Local time
11:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wanna try these. Have you ever used a cone shaped auger drill bit firewood splitter made for splitting logs with your battery powered hand drill? They're cone shaped like a step drill bit, and are available in different sizes.

cone-shaped-auger-wood-splitter-drill-bit-firewood-splitter.jpg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
They are kind of a hinky pain in the ass tbh. If all your doing is looking to make kindling it may work for you but for splitting real firewood size pieces it’s probably not going to work the way you envision.

This guy is a bit of an unskilled hammer donkey but it’s a fair assessment:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still have my Bark Buster wood splitter and the trick to it is splitting the piece of wood close to the end and not the middle. This way it is easy for it to get the split started and let the screw do the work from there to finish the split.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tried the screw style
I wanna try these. Have you ever used a cone shaped auger drill bit firewood splitter made for splitting logs with your battery powered hand drill? They're cone shaped like a step drill bit, and are available in different sizes.

View attachment 383578

I bought one of those off of Amazon awhile back for a couple bucks to just meet the free shipping minimum. I tried it a few times in seasoned ash to make kindling, and my Milwaukee M18 cordless drill was unhappy with the power needed, even in low range. It does okay on small pine boards, but so does my hatchet. I think I got it for like $4.99, and my shipping would have been $7.99 otherwise. It is in my "random junk I have no other place for" toolbox drawer currently

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep getting advertisement videos on Facebook Marketplace for this gimmick.
In said videos they make it look as if it is the bomb to use for splitting even rounds in half.
But doing the math conical screw largest OD vs any battery powered drill - nope, that ain't gonna work for long if at all.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got one slotted to fit on a pick up truck rim bolt pattern or a pto shaft .You have to be carefull with them .My dad built a "Rube Goldberg" using a Jeep rear end and transmission driven by a tractor .It did okay back in the day 40 years ago . Since then I've lost tract of how many hydraulic splitters I've built .

bretts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in my teens a guy paid me to split firewood, he had one of these splitters mounted to the pto shaft on the back of a tractor (an old David Brown iirc). He had cut the wood into rounds already and I would lift the round onto the table mounted to the back of the tractor and push it onto the cone and it would do it's thing.
It was bl**dy dangerous and I had to be very careful not to get my fingers caught.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are kind of a hinky pain in the ass tbh. If all your doing is looking to make kindling it may work for you but for splitting real firewood size pieces it’s probably not going to work the way you envision.

This guy is a bit of an unskilled hammer donkey but it’s a fair assessment:

"Honey, I broke my wrists again...can you give me a ride to the ER 'cause I can't even fap much less operate a damn 10-speed at the moment?"

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just go straight for the wheel of death
When something simple and almost completely safe like splitting small OD rounds with an ax is being turned into a deathtrap just because someone is over thinking stuff.
No sympathy for folks like this.