Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started this project a couple of months ago with a friend's old CT. A couple of shops turned him down on fixing it, so I gave it a whirl. It had a major air leak, but had no damage to the piston or cylinder yet. First problem was to get the clutch off. After much research, and a picture of a crankshaft from the German bay site I saw that it is a taper fit and not threaded. It's possible to fit two bolts into the clutch body for a puller. But after heating it and breaking two sets of bolts with a slide hammer puller we tried making our own puller.
947568fc6dbbdb114cec794458815baf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After getting the clutch off I found that this was all that was left of the seal.
a8e5364233e3babfec56d7127d9f6259.jpg

An easy $4 fix. A pressure test showed it was OK now so on to the next.

Saw ran but either flooded out or starved, so I put a complete kit in the HL carb. It ran better but cut so crooked with the worn bar that I ended up with a D176 Pattern in .404, 34" off the bay. 3/8 sprockets for this don't seem to be available.
e02a94813e58f93f3d96d6524f7c81f7.jpg

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still, it wouldn't run all the way through a cut so back to the carb. I tried it with and without the governor, to no avail, and for a sort of science project bought myself one of those HL knock off carbs that are supposed to fit an 090.

So last weekend I put the knock off carb on the saw having to change the throttle shaft lever, and a couple of bushings over the Dolmar studs. Only to find the carb would not pump fuel. Rather than waste more time, tonight I traded the metering chamber and the fuel pump from the Tillotson to the knock off body. Thankfully they swapped out perfect.
Old body with clone chambers on it.

341a2ccef736566764fcaa86850e928d.jpg

The old girl started right up and runs good enough to cut now. I still need to transfer the choke shafts to be complete.

Thanks to all the guys that put up with all my questions on this!

Hoping that this might be of help to some of you too, I really enjoy this forum bunch!

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...Awesome saws....never seen one in person.....they are beastly for sure ....any chance that thing will show up at one of our gtgs in the mid west? Keep the pics coming....

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I had it in the car for the Iowa GTG but couldn't attend because our basement flooded two nights prior.

It barely fits in the Prius ya know!

Last edited:

lumberjackchef

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bring it to Fort Scott the last weekend in August to our annual GTG at the pioneer harvest fiesta..lots of old saws, tractors and implement demos plus I will be helping run the old circular mill this year......

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
10:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I started this project a couple of months ago with a friend's old CT. A couple of shops turned him down on fixing it, so I gave it a whirl. It had a major air leak, but had no damage to the piston or cylinder yet. First problem was to get the clutch off. After much research, and a picture of a crankshaft from the German bay site I saw that it is a taper fit and not threaded. It's possible to fit two bolts into the clutch body for a puller. But after heating it and breaking two sets of bolts with a slide hammer puller we tried making our own puller.
947568fc6dbbdb114cec794458815baf.jpg

Very nice. Still to aquire one of these. Anyone got one to trade for a project 166? ;)

Tapered clutch is also shared by the ca and 144/152.

Bit off advice I have learnt the hard way. When refitting clutch get the spider very hot to insure it won't end up spinning on the crankshaft. Alternatively after running saw for abit and getting clutch hot pull the sprocket off and place a hollow tube/socket over shaft onto clutch and tap a few times (clutch must still be hot) to ensure a good taper fit.

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had it in the car for the Iowa GTG but couldn't attend because our basement flooded two nights prior.

It barely fits in the Prius ya know!

That's no fun :(

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interested in what the china clone HL has in the fuel pump chamber.

I got my Clinton running but it starves for fuel and won't cut.
40fdd52e9ec9f8b961270dcd3b88b10e.jpg

Next step is to replace pump guts with genuine Tilly parts.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interested in what the china clone HL has in the fuel pump chamber.

I got my Clinton running but it starves for fuel and won't cut.
40fdd52e9ec9f8b961270dcd3b88b10e.jpg

Next step is to replace pump guts with genuine Tilly parts.

Tilly parts look the same but pump fuel where the clone would not. I think there was a lot of leaks in the clone. I tried to prime it by pouring fuel in from the tank side of line. It all ran out the bottom by the fuel strainer so I gave up on it and used Tilly parts.