Dolmar 64xx/73xx/79xx series, smurfs and solo 665/675/681 thread

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
5:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adaptor is something like this but that's not the model of my final design. The factory clip holds it down still.

View attachment 325075 View attachment 325076 View attachment 325077
There's a british engine builder named David Vizard. Ended up in the States. He did a lot of flowbench work, some of it on what he calls "stub stacks". They were small smooth radius plates that took the place of velocity stacks but were designed to be compact and smooth the entry flow to carbs.
I see some of that principle in your design there bro. Nice work.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Soon you say...[emoji848]

You know the trials and tribulations of which I deal with in a multitude of areas...

It has been on the board for like two years. It's ready to go.

K&n needs to produce the filter, and sock. I'd love to make a package unit. But not everyone wants a k&n, and uni never returned my messages about a custom run.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know the trials and tribulations of which I deal with in a multitude of areas...

It has been on the board for like two years. It's ready to go.

K&n needs to produce the filter, and sock. I'd love to make a package unit. But not everyone wants a k&n, and uni never returned my messages about a custom run.
I know brother just busting you!

tek9tim

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So let's assume that the HD does restrict flow vs the standard setup.

Now, let's expose both of those setups to the same amount of dust and run em on the dyno again. Back in '08, when I still had the standard setup on my saw, I got halfway through the face cut on a 36" red fir (first tree of the morning, fresh filter) and the filter was so plugged that the saw wouldn't rev. Cleaned it, had to stop most of the way through the back cut and clean it again.

The HD goes for much longer before it chokes out. I know this kind of thing doesn't matter when you only cut at GTGs or live in a wet place where there isn't much dust, but some folks actually need the air filter to stop more than just a few saw chips.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So let's assume that the HD does restrict flow vs the standard setup.

Now, let's expose both of those setups to the same amount of dust and run em on the dyno again. Back in '08, when I still had the standard setup on my saw, I got halfway through the face cut on a 36" red fir (first tree of the morning, fresh filter) and the filter was so plugged that the saw wouldn't rev. Cleaned it, had to stop most of the way through the back cut and clean it again.

The HD goes for much longer before it chokes out. I know this kind of thing doesn't matter when you only cut at GTGs or live in a wet place where there isn't much dust, but some folks actually need the air filter to stop more than just a few saw chips.
Good points there. Imo for you guys out west both filters suck. Especially since there is no air injection. An oiled foam unit would be a perfect solution. Sounds like the “red beard” aftermarket filter would be awesome.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How to advance the timing on these, Mason? Have a couple of these I want to play with.
The key is cast in so u have to use a thin burr on it it with whatever power tool you have. Aim is to grind enough off the key to turn the flywheel counter clockwise 1-2 fin widths which is a couple degrees (about 1/4-1/3 key width). No real science to it. If it cuts faster with the advance and don’t pop in the cut your good. If it pops and no performance improvement dial it back a little. You should notice a minor torque gain.

Stefaan

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any chance in damaging the crankshaft on the flywheelside doing so?

Stefaan

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could I possibly remove the flywheel nut with an impact tool, or best with a piston stop and wrench?