Different Color Felling Spikes

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody out there running aftermarket/ custom dawgs on their saws? What do they look like on your saws? You see those powder coated spikes like "Champion Cutters" all over on eBay but I've never seen people run them, or heard of anyone with any experience with how they look and run?

Mostly looking for comments and pictures

Pullstart

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I run them on every saw I own. They work good
for anything I have cut. I dont cut a lot of
firewood or do much felling but they work when needed and are very strong for my uses. I don't have a picture at the moment. Saws that I got are a stihl ms180c and a ms261cm. They look good and work even better.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t know about the brand but I got them off eBay. I got black coated ones because I enjoy a “blah” color scheme according to my wife.
243ceaf21ce2dc35b2ff04ba4fd4a339.jpg

8ca60c153ee981ca052ff4121e8b7559.jpg

These are on my Snellerized 046

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run them on every saw I own. They work good
for anything I have cut. I dont cut a lot of
firewood or do much felling but they work when needed and are very strong for my uses. I don't have a picture at the moment. Saws that I got are a stihl ms180c and a ms261cm. They look good and work even better.
First off welcome to the forum! And when you say "them" is there a brand you can remember or just the eBay special?

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some are currently crap like Farmertec.

The goods are hard to find. I use one descent outer I found at hls. Most times I use oe ones.
"Champion Cutters" are made like an hour from where I live so I was considering checking them out, I just don't know how that orange powder coat actually looks on a sawScreenshot_20200406-195117.jpg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
"Champion Cutters" are made like an hour from where I live so I was considering checking them out, I just don't know how that orange powder coat actually looks on a sawView attachment 234440
I've seen them on 046 saws. They look fine. Seen ones painted yellow or red on big Macs... they look good.

Edit
I should also mention most west coast kits are too much for myself. Moving the Stihl spikes down to smaller saws makes it nice using oem stuff. The hard part is knowing all the different Stihl offerings and using two or three outer spikes in AM with good steel when needed. Getting the right fit on the case side can be frustrating until you learn all the mounts available. They don't always match perfect but how often do you see both sides of a window ;)

Last edited:

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351648002567

Just a heads up, I bought a set of these for my 462 and they aren’t holding up very good. Tips bend and curl back on themselves after a good day cutting hardwood. Guessing they are plasma cut out of standard cheap mild steel. Size is just what I was looking for at least.

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen them on 046 saws. They look fine. Seen ones painted yellow or red on big Macs... they look good.

Edit
I should also mention most west coast kits are too much for myself. Moving the Stihl spikes down to smaller saws makes it nice using oem stuff. The hard part is knowing all the different Stihl offerings and using two or three outer spikes in AM with good steel when needed. Getting the right fit on the case side can be frustrating until you learn all the mounts available. They don't always match perfect but how often do you see both sides of a window ;)
Same, I like double dogs and I'm a fan of rolling chain catches but I just don't need big honking spikes on my saws, not worth losing the bar length

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20200104_153643.jpgIMG_20200106_105929.jpg
Anybody out there running aftermarket/ custom dawgs on their saws? What do they look like on your saws? You see those powder coated spikes like "Champion Cutters" all over on eBay but I've never seen people run them, or heard of anyone with any experience with how they look and run?

Mostly looking for comments and pictures
Three of my Saw's have them o like them there not to big and there light and for the price you can't really go wrong. Here's a couple of my Saw's with a set not a fan of my color choice it's to much. Lol

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Same, I like double dogs and I'm a fan of rolling chain catches but I just don't need big honking spikes on my saws, not worth losing the bar length
I'm not worried about bar length. The weight of thick spikes does not make up for poor temper in the steel and poor fit. Farmertechnajunkcadplatedtrash folded over in hard maple noodling on the first run, lol. I tossed some new ones in my woodstove for a few fires. Next time after cleaning off the toxic cad plating crumbs and ash, they get dropped in oil, hot. When I thin out the upper mounting section to actually fit the case correctly, I'll know if the steel is crap or not. After that they get given away. I have a whole pile of AM oversized dogs. No way you can let a used saw go with *s-word like that on it.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What they look like shouldn't be how you choose them IME. Go to big on a small saw & you ruin the way it'll function, then if they aren't hardened properly the tips peen over or they bend out of shape. ProSafetey spikes are good quality. But I now run mostly OEM but go up a size like put ms362 spikes on a ms261. I've found the cheap Chinese roller catcher sets you can buy in 10-pack to be OK...they are plastic instead of ceramic but work well & do the job, but don't touch their spikes, they are terrible. Is the OP fitting them to a work saw or PSP?

Pullstart

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What they look like shouldn't be how you choose them IME. Go to big on a small saw & you ruin the way it'll function, then if they aren't hardened properly the tips peen over or they bend out of shape. ProSafetey spikes are good quality. But I now run mostly OEM but go up a size like put ms362 spikes on a ms261. I've found the cheap Chinese roller catcher sets you can buy in 10-pack to be OK...they are plastic instead of ceramic but work well & do the job, but don't touch their spikes, they are terrible. Is the OP fitting them to a work saw or PSP?

I'm pretty new to this saw stuff so could you tell me why having oversized spikes on a smaller saw hurt the performance? I have oversized spikes on all my Saws in thinking that I don't use the whole bar so with that thought I get bigger performance by not allowing all bar length to slow the saw down in a cut if i were to max out the bar in the cut.

Saw_Squatch

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All my saws a work saws to one extent or another but I don't mind them looking cool as a bonus, I'm mostly looking at a set of double dogs with the roller catch for my 044 but I just don't have a need for oversized western spikes. I was thinking either running oem small double dogs without the chain catch or going with something in the size range of 064 spikes. On my 026 pro I definitely don't need double dogs I just prefer them and if I'm going to be honest I'd still like a roller catch because I'm not the biggest fan of the factory chain catch so I was probably going to have to go aftermarket on that.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty new to this saw stuff so could you tell me why having oversized spikes on a smaller saw hurt the performance? I have oversized spikes on all my Saws in thinking that I don't use the whole bar so with that thought I get bigger performance by not allowing all bar length to slow the saw down in a cut if i were to max out the bar in the cut.
Big spikes change the leverage when you dig in and lift. An aggressive self feeding chain might be perfect with stock spikes, but will lock up a small saw with big spikes as soon as the spike touches the log

Pullstart

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I see. Good point usually just use them as a guide to stay away from as I don't see using them as a leverage point. I do see what you are talking about.