Different Color Felling Spikes

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"Champion Cutters" are made like an hour from where I live so I was considering checking them out, I just don't know how that orange powder coat actually looks on a sawView attachment 234440
Orange is just a retro look some guy's like on there new saw's they used to come orange/red from the factory back in the days of Stihl saw's like the Contra Lightning.
images (43).jpeg images (44).jpeg

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big spikes change the leverage when you dig in and lift. An aggressive self feeding chain might be perfect with stock spikes, but will lock up a small saw with big spikes as soon as the spike touches the log
I cut a good half inch to an inch off the bottom dogs on 088/880's for that very reason.
Stock the leverage is to aggressive bog city even with factory spec chain cutting them makes for smooth cutting no more fighting touchy PITA dog's.
20200408_193654.jpg

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty new to this saw stuff so could you tell me why having oversized spikes on a smaller saw hurt the performance? I have oversized spikes on all my Saws in thinking that I don't use the whole bar so with that thought I get bigger performance by not allowing all bar length to slow the saw down in a cut if i were to max out the bar in the cut.
Well simply put you have it all wrong. What you have written there makes perfect sense to someone new to saws...but to someone who uses saws for a living your presumptions are poor and not generated through experience. Either take good advice or don't. I am not hood winking you, just trying to help. The answers are written here by many, but put simply spikes too big, saw will bog, become jerky, really stress your chain/drive gear and make operation of saw PITA.

Last edited: