Dealer says porting / modding doesn't work

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Husky 346xp that was modded by Brad Snelling. Ported, larger carb, the usual woods porting, I suppose. I bought it after the fact. It certainly seems bad-ass to me. Was at a dealer yesterday and he's pouring cold water on it, saying nothing was really accomplished. That a stock 346 is unlike other saws, that it screams at very high rpm anyway. Like 13500-14500, I think that is what he said. I thought a pro mod job like this would def add more speed/power. Why would a dealer say that? The guy seems to be a straight shooter, he never oversells, seems to have the customer in mind. Just wondering what the real deal is with these pro jobs and why he would say this? Because he doesn't want his new saws to look like they need anything? Is this a common 'myth' or is he right?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 346 will turn over 14k stock, yes.

Your dealer, like many dealers, sounds like he's not a fan of hopped up saws. Now, every builder messes up sometimes, so I can't tell you that your particular 346 is better than a stock saw, but there's tons of great before and after videos by Brad, Randy, Chainsaw Jim, Carl Miller, and in and on. It's typical to see substantial gains after port work. Also, there's been dyno tests in the past that show dramatic increases in HP as well as torque curves that are much improved over stock saws.

That said, ported saws aren't for everyone. There's pro users on here who swear by the increased productivity from using ported saws. Most of us just enjoy the heck out of using them, whether for firewood, side jobs, or just as a hobby. I like running saws. Do stock saws get the job done? Yes. Is there anything wrong with the saws on your dealer's shelf? No. But, if running a ported saw brings a smile to your face, then perhaps it's worth it. Only you can decide. It sounds like you think your saw performs well, but if you have any misgivings about it, is suggest contacting Brad to what he says.

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My only questions @livemusic are
1) was he unhappy you did not buy a saw from him?
2) was he more concerned that you wasted extra money on a nice in stock trim model?

And final statement, get a nice sharp chain and let him cut some wood with it. I've found most times people haven't run a properly modified saw. Usually it's just base gasket and opened muffler. Correctly set up the 346 is quite impressive for how small it is and it really shows when you put it in larger wood, 12"+

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dealer has no clue, ZERO, about the 462. And they claim they have no idea about ported saws. I offered to bring a couple in for them to try. Mechanics were all for it, owner said no.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Randy. Dealers up here don't have a clue. Kind of sad they don't take interest in their own product lines.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
All I know is that I ran my brother's 385 before and after Randy did his magic. Could I tell a difference? You betcha!!! AMAZING!!!! He turned that saw into a wood chomping monster. I regret not having my video camera running when my brother did an undercut on a big oak log that was up off the ground. He sprayed chips all over our Dad who was sitting on his tractor seat about 20 feet away. Dad was grinning ear to ear!!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By franchise agreement Stihl dealers cannot modify saws and sell them under shop conditions .The dealer I use is fascinated that I do.He must have spent a half hour looking over my collection a few years back when he delivered a Toro zero turn mower to me .

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dealer has no clue, ZERO, about the 462. And they claim they have no idea about ported saws. I offered to bring a couple in for them to try. Mechanics were all for it, owner said no.

Invite the mechanics to a GTG.

Not all dealers around here are clueless / don't take interest -- don't forget Bob of Ashokan Turf and Timber, he is totally into the products he sells and Husky is lucky to have someone like Bob representing their product line.