High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cylinder Plating by US Chrome - Where can I find a "dealer"?

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that’s some valuable information I needed...

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you so much Dave. That is exactly the information I have been looking for and is very through and clear. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, it looks like I am out of luck for getting my 1.5" / 38mm blind bore plated. Too bad, but at least I can end my quest t have this done. maybe I can get it to kinda run as-is... :( Who knows, maybe things will get better or maybe someone else will eventually enter the blind bore plating business. One can always hope right?

-Matthew
if your project is a money is no object, unobtainium unicorn situation, there is a place that will likely do it but the bill will be at least a grand, if it is worth it let me know

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Definitive Dave who would be able to blind bore then?
We are working with some other good folks both here and elsewhere to make blind boring possible again. That
is only 1/3 of the equation, US Chrome will plate them for us, but can't hone and finish the bore below 47mm (1.8") so that leaves us dealing with 3 specialized shops to get a small blind cylinder done. I have a bunch of dead 346xp, 353 cylinders that need the full service :(
Dave

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks so much for all the replies. I have reached out to Electrosil in Australia and I will see what they have to say and let the group know.

-Matthew
What's the cylinder Matthew. Maybe a worldwide stumble upon search might pay dividends? It's only one more search term of a daily listings check in my case for instance.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
2:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Langcourt LTD
2080 McMillan St
Auburn Alabama 36832

334-887-9633
usoffice@langcourt.com

These guys might be a possibility for you guys. I've used a bunch of sled cyls they replated. Just as high quality as millennium and u.s chrome. It's been a while but they might be worth looking into. They were game for custom work back then.

Steven

7jp4-guy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
OK. No luck with Electrosil. I got a nice email back from them that was very apologetic but explained that they don't work on fixed head cylinders. I appreciate the quick response - much easier than US Chrome (and less rude too!). I will reach out to Langcourt next. Thanks so much for all the help so far guys. I just can't believe that no-one, and I mean no-one, in the world will work on small blind cylinders!

-Matthew

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What cylinder are you wanting plated? Is there no others available? Or are you trying to do something different? Us chrome would do some mac stuff, but most of the time it was cheaper to find NOS or good used, or even kart swaps can be cheaper, I have had crazy ideas, but sometimes reality sets in

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So US Chrome could replate a 034 Super cylinder (48mm)....But on a standard 034 cylinder (46mm)?
this is correct, I understand why after a lengthy conversation with them, but it is basically too expensive to buy the tooling (and skilled labor) to finish Diamond hone the bore after plating - nobody wants to pay $2500 to replate a standard 034 cylinder right?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
this is correct, I understand why after a lengthy conversation with them, but it is basically too expensive to buy the tooling (and skilled labor) to finish Diamond hone the bore after plating - nobody wants to pay $2500 to replate a standard 034 cylinder right?
My neighbor has diamond tooling. So far nothing has been impossible there. He can do bores. Not sure if he is interested but I can ask.
The plating would be left to me to figure out.
Boring and honing is quite doable in his shop.

He was going to take a shot at cutting the band in a 40mm 200T cylinder but I recommend not doing it. Pretty easy to sand those just a bit

7jp4-guy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OK. Here is a little more news. Apparently the US office of Langcourt is kaput:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...urt+LTD+2080+McMillan+St+Auburn+Alabama+36832
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/content/threads/langcourt-no-more.9644/

I have reached out a couple times now to Langcourt in the UK with no response. The cylinder is small enough that shipping it to UK would not be terribly difficult or expensive. I hope they didn't go under too. Has anyone here worked with Langcourt UK?
http://www.langcourt.com/page16.html

-Matthew D'Asaro