Cutter Shape?

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a loop of Stihl 33rsc that I worked on a bit last week. The chain had been rocked pretty bad and needed some help. I always used the regular Stihl file holder but got myself a 3/8 husky filing guide and wanted to try it out. I started by filing the gullet back a little ways and then using the guide. I noticed the cutters have a little upslope in the gullet to cutter area. Does that matter? Hook seems alright when compared to new.

The husky guide is a very nice tool and would recommend it to anyone. I also think the files that came with it cut a little better than the Stihl files.

Started with...

image.jpeg

Ended with...the top plate wasn't quite done in this pic but you get the idea.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

junkman

Crush it
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutter looks good ,the raker is a little lower than i run ,that may make it dull quicker and be a little grabby

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd cut with that .I got a cheap plastic harbor frieght grinder to fix "rocked" chains I can file but I'm not spending an hour on a beat chain I file usually but if when I hit stuff that 30 dollar grinder does make life easier

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, it's not real practical to fix a chain like this with a file, but i wanted to get some practice with the husqvarna file guide. It probably took me an hour to do the whole chain, but I knew what I was in for. It took about 20-25 strokes per cutter to get past the damage and back to a nice corner/top plate.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice work I used to do the same honestly the hf grinder is slow to but if you can run a file it's useable