Crankshaft big end bearing rebuild

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see several threads on crankshaft big end bearings making noise or saws needing a crankshaft. Has anyone put any effort into rebuilding cranks by changing big end bearing. I have done 1 in a dolmar just curious cranks can be expensive or nla just curious if anyone else has tried it.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well from what I remember the husky ones are pressed into place. I took a cheap AM one at one point heated it and was able to separate it just to see if it’s possible. Thing is you will need to press it back on in which both crank lobes are lined up perfectly… also, where are you going to find the actual bearing? Most mfrs list the crank as a complete assembly and do not list any parts of it seperately

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well from what I remember the husky ones are pressed into place. I took a cheap AM one at one point heated it and was able to separate it just to see if it’s possible. Thing is you will need to press it back on in which both crank lobes are lined up perfectly… also, where are you going to find the actual bearing? Most mfrs list the crank as a complete assembly and do not list any parts of it seperately
I was able to find a bearing for mine in a kit for a Stihl 08 and was able to true it up after pressing it back together. There is not a lot of info out there on it but I just figured with all the people on this site there has to be a way to see what cranks take what bearing.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good info :)

I now remember what happened when I got my AM crank. It was too wide, cases wouldn’t close all the way when I re assembled. Compared the old and the New crank and found the new one wasn’t pressed in all the way. So I tried to do it myself with a vice and heat. I did press it in more but it was too much at the big end of the rod was rubbing on the cranks now, so I tossed it and bought oem.
save yourself the hassle and compare your old and new with calliper a before you install!!!

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you could find the bearing it may be worth trying it worst you would be out a bearing and case gasket to put it back together
This is what motivated me to proceed
If I could do it again I would shim it so that I could not go to far pressing it

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a few Sachs Dolmar 166 cranks with various issues, I sent them all to a place in Vermont called The Crank Shop.
They were able to get me 3 cranks out of what i sent them although i had to do the leg work on finding the lower rod
bearing which i was able to get from Action bearing in Boston Ma.