Coyote hunting for beginners

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another question. Watching some yote hunting on tv. They are in bush and using shotguns. Would they be rifled barles? Or just regular. And what choke tube do you use with slugs. Wouldnt wanna bannana peel my barrle.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use a large size bird shot or buck shot. If you're gonna shoot slugs might as well have a rifle. A lot of guys carry both or if you hunt in pairs one with rifle one with a shotgun.

Coyote are tough to call in around here. Most of the ones I've killed have been during turkey season. Turkey decoys in a open field draw them in.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree with the above...if wanting to tote a scatter gun, just take a rifle. The closer that dog gets, the more apt he is to wind you, get skittish and he's hauling ass 0 to 90. I wouldn't even fool with the scatter gun theory. If slugs are your thing, get a good slug barrel for your shotgun and a decent low-powered scope and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was out this morning hunting but nevwr seen any yotes.
Seen some tracks. Thats about it.
Tried out my mew call. I picked up the entry level fox pro bonedead caller. Sounds good but not overly loud. Seemed a heck of a lot louder in the house lol.

Thought it would be the perfect morning. Wind was in my favor. Nice and sunny. But nothing. Oh well mabe next time.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 on that combination it’s all we use and it will indeed make them have a bad day.
+2, most guys here run super full extended turkey chokes with #4 buck, I've witnessed some 80-90yd shots with the setup that doesn't kill em but slows em down enough for dogs to catch em. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it lol