Coyote hunting for beginners

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im wanting to get into coyote hunting. I will be shooting a savage 243.
So this is gonna be basically a coyote hunting for dummies thread.
I dont have a good electronic call. They are quite pricey. I do have the mini phanton that takes the little sound sticks.
Some of the spunds dont sound very good like the coyote howling.

So. Any tips on hunting these dogs.
How long do you sit at a spot?
How often to call.
What calls to use. Rabbit. rodent squeel.
Howls?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hunt and trap on the east coast. Our coyotes are different from the western coyote. Very difficult critters to call. I would say dusk and dawn with a .223 caliber of sorts. Id say learn to use a hand call. It gives away your location but you can play the critter on his actions. Elec calls work well also because they keep you concealed in the brush and are remote controlled. Find a good buddy that has a similar passion in the same type of hunting and will go with you. You would be surprised what one misses and the other one sees.
Trapping is more effective but more time consuming. Wolf is my new bucket list before the end. Obviously have to travel for 1 of them.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long should you call for and how long between calling.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hunt out west in open farmland. One thing I learned from starting to glass from the truck way before I got to my spot...they see and hear you and know you're there way before you get there if you're not very careful. If they see you come, set up, and call, they say HA! and disappear.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say calling time depends on what you are calling into. If its just a little woodlot maybe 10 to 15 min. if it is a larger lay of cover maybe as long as 45 min depending on how aggressive you call. I always like to keep the animal curious not just a constant cry of distress.
Don't ever forget wind direction. These animals smell in parts per million and stay alive because of it. Can you hunt with lights at night in your area?

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run FoxPro calls and Noxx lights. Both good products and both made in PA.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've smoked their asses on a lot of farmland here over the years with electronic calls and ground blinds!

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say calling time depends on what you are calling into. If its just a little woodlot maybe 10 to 15 min. if it is a larger lay of cover maybe as long as 45 min depending on how aggressive you call. I always like to keep the animal curious not just a constant cry of distress.
Don't ever forget wind direction. These animals smell in parts per million and stay alive because of it. Can you hunt with lights at night in your area?
Dont think we can at night. Will have to look into that.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the property where the land owner is having trouble with them. I sat where the white dot is. Thers good tree cover ther.

Should i be back farther neer the river in back feild?
631f3ad1981da52825568f1fe0f6b415.jpg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some (many) are "trained" to the call. Do a lot of tracking, talk to the owners during the day and learn their habits. Ambush!

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some (many) are "trained" to the call. Do a lot of tracking, talk to the owners during the day and learn their habits. Ambush!
Last week one came almost to the house about 25 yarfs from them. She had to grab her little puppy. That was about 10 am.
Ther is a few chickens ther too.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When my kids were little, we'd drive out in the country in the jeep and they would howl back and forth at the yotes. If I tried it, they would shut up and scram. My voice was wrong, too low, who knows. Point is, if it's wrong, they're gone. I hunted hard/often in the summer (HOT here) and got about 5 until I got tired of abusing myself.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a regular pop up blind?

Correct...with small fold open tables to steady and shoot across. We've glassed and smoked 'em out to 500 yards...I enjoy the hell out of it!

A few yrs ago, I set up in a loft in an old barn on the edge of the woods/fields, on a buddies farm property that overlooked a bottom area of field near a creek, like in your pic...seven coyotes came into the bottom of the field, and it was on! I shot five of the seven before they could get out of the field. They couldn't tell which direction the shots were coming from, and just did circles in the field. At two different times they ran straight in my direction towards the barn then would put on the brakes and stop right in the field, they damn sure knew something was up, lol...but way too late at that point, the crosshairs were already locked onto the next victim. Shooting a Winchester model 70 XTR Sporter .270 with 140 gr extended range ballistic-tip boat tails.

Last edited:

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best tip I can give...when you set up, make sure you can get a shot at them before they can wind you. 99% of them time they will come from downwind.

Calling is very difficult and low success rate, don't get discouraged if you're not piling them up

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, and get some of those Howard Leight impact electronic muffs. Crank them up and they amplify sound. Helps you be sneaky. Then they cancel the shot sound so you’re not deaf.