High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cost for DOT numbers?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Been exploring getting liability insurance for tree removal service and the whole bit. Part of that was getting a small dump truck for the business. Insurance for the truck is actually cheap but when I went to the DOT web site to try and figure out what it would cost for DOT numbers you have to answer a million questions and also need to have an established business. I dont have one or even own the truck which I'm considering getting numbers for. The truck is a Chevy C60 with a short dump box...

Can anyone tell me what the dees are to get DOT numbers on a medium truck 1-2.5 ton? GVWR will be <26K lbs so no CDL. Even better if you are in NY!

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting DOT numbers is pretty simple, but I'm guessing you'll need a vin#. I don't remember exactly, it's been over a year n I CRS lol. Shouldn't be to complicated or expensive being a smaller/lighter truck. If it were me n only goin to be used part time and assuming you're not goin too far I'd consider skipping DOT numbers:hollering:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Getting DOT numbers is pretty simple, but I'm guessing you'll need a vin#. I don't remember exactly, it's been over a year n I CRS lol. Shouldn't be to complicated or expensive being a smaller/lighter truck. If it were me n only goin to be used part time and assuming you're not goin too far I'd consider skipping DOT numbers:hollering:

My cousin just told me there is no fee to get DOT#'s. Hard to believe the government would offer anything free.

Last edited:

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure what would be required for compliance on a lighter truck, I'm required to maintain a driver file and be enrolled in random drug screening. Then there's highway use tax (HUT) and a annual federal HVUT (not sure if that would apply). I deal with a compliance company to handle everything but HUT

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure what would be required for compliance on a lighter truck, I'm required to maintain a driver file and be enrolled in random drug screening. Then there's highway use tax (HUT) and a annual federal HVUT (not sure if that would apply). I deal with a compliance company to handle everything but HUT
My understanding is the HUT is based on the vehicles registered GVWR. I will be confirming that later it my cousin said the cutoff was 18,000 gvrw. Anything above you pay HUT. I'm not familiar with HVUT...

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HVUT is a federal tax, they call it a 2290 and nobody tells ya about it til you go to reregister truck and DMV won't register without proof of payment...ask me how I found this out? Lol. Being lighter may get ya around that too, I'm not sure. I'm registered for 72,000 so it's a bit different

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Im calling the DMV tomorrow, I'll ask.

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely do a little digging, really may cause more aggravation than its worth. Running outlaw only sucks if they catch ya.